Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Tutorials for grounded CPW in Microwave Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxfrei

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!
I need to learn how to work with Microwave Office in quite a short time. Now I'm looking for tutorials about grounded CPW's.
I found a lot of tutorials on CPW's, but none about grounded ones. I didn't have time to have a detailed look at the help by now, but that's what I am going to do next. Anyway, I thought other tutorials might be helpfull as well.

Thanks in advance.
Max

Hello.
You need to create a substrate in your schematic so you can reference to it. But first to get a good idea I would use the TXline tool in Microwave office first, it is right under Tools beside options in your project window at the top. It will give you access to CPW and CPW with ground along with Microstrip, Stripline etc.... You can input your board characteristics, dielectric etc.. but I would not use those dimensions blindly just as a starting point, then go back into your schematic and analyze it. Hope this helps. ;-)
Ferudun

Last edited:
Hi!
First, I'd like to thank you for your help. Nevertheless, I still got some questions.

1. You refer to the schematic editor. So is your solution just suitable for schematic analysis, or for EM as well?
2. I found existing substrates such as CPW. How can I change or create such a substrate?
3. Do you know any tutorials about the topic, so that I could try to figure it out on my own, rather than bothering you with my questions? ;-)

Thanks a lot!
Max

EDIT: I just recognized, that the CPW-substrate has a property named "Gnd", the description says: "No GndPln if (0), else Metallic GndPln". Does anyone (especially you Ferudun :-D) know, whether all I have to do is to change this property to 1 and use CWG-models?

Last edited:

Hello Max,

Ferudun procedure is the generic one which can be used as starting point for CPW Circuit Schematics or EM Structure...

Just place the "CPW_SUB" substrate block & edit the parameters

3. Go through the Design Notes of following AWR examples...
For Circuit Schematic & layout generation go through the example CPW_Layout.emp & for CPW EM structure go through this example CPW_to_Slotline.emp

Yes, edit the "Gnd" parameter value to 1 & it will add the GND plane beneath ...

Also go through the following Notes at Sonnet website on CPW structures it is very useful....
Modeling Co-planar Waveguide (CPW) in Sonnet

---manju---

Hi,
thanks for your help! Unfortunately I'm currently not able to test your suggestions, because the licence has to be renewed first. I'll test it asap and will tell you about the results.

Thanks!
Max

Hi,
I was able to realize my simulations, but with Ansoft Designer instead of MWO.
Nevertheless, I'd like to thank both of you for your help!

Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back