Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to choose a TVS used in a gate drive circuit for power MOSFET?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powersys

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi...

Found the following post: https://www.edaboard.com/threads/166905/#post704330
It states that:
I use bi-directional TVS instead of a zener for protection because it is just as likely to get positive spikes as it is to get negative spikes.

It is small price to pay for increased reliability.

Mr.Cool

I'm building a gate drive circuit for the following power MOSFET, i.e. IRFP4110 (http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irfp4110pbf.pdf). I wish to add a bi-directional TVS (as suggested by Mr. Cool above) in parallel to the gate-source of the power MOSFET. However, I'm confused with the following specification of a TVS:

- Reverse Stand-Off Voltage (VR)
- Breakdown Voltage (VBR)
- Clamping Voltage (VC)

According the datasheet of IRFP4110, the maximum allowable gate-to-source Vgs is +/-20V. Let's say the Vgs used in my circuit is +15V. Which TVS do you think is suitable for my application? Someone suggested to use a 17V TVS. Is the "17V" the Reverse Stand-Off Voltage, Breakdown Voltage, or Clamping Voltage? Please recommend one (in surface mounted technology package) if you know any of them.

Many thanks.

Vishay has a huge line of TVS diodes, and they're mostly all available in surface mount packages. Look for your breakdown voltage to be between 15V and 20V typical. Here's one that should probably work

Digi-Key - SMBJ16CA-TPMSCT-ND (Manufacturer - SMBJ16CA-TP)

That's not a Vishay one, but I've used that company and they work well.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back