Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

want to design a simple but optimized POWER SUPPLY FOR AUDIO POWER AMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldlyGuy

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

This is my first post and would love as much input as possible on designing a simple high current, regulated +/- 40Vdc power supply.

This would be used for an ILP power amplifier module (HY2006 240 Watts) to drive the center speaker of a home theater system I'm building.
It's worth checking out thee ILP modules at: **broken link removed** . I'm waiting for current demand info from ILP, but I think that 10-12 amps at regulated +/- 40Vdc would work.

I'd like to use a toridal center tap transformer.
I'd like to use a frequency doubler to make line frequency from 60hz to 120hz before rectification. This frequency doubling could happen on the secondary of the transformer in order to use smaller components. I'd like to do a simple frequency doubling at 120Hz to optimize available current under load.
I'd like to use a Schottky bridge rectifier to provide the +/- dc rails, but I'm not sure of how to do this.
I'd like to use 2 X 10000 uf (20000uf) filter capacitors on each leg of the +/- rails
Finally, I'd like to use discrete power PNP/NPN transistor in an emitter follow configuration as the final stage of the regulated power supply.

So, I've built a similar circuit some decade ago, but without frequency doubling and it was only a positive rail supply using a 2N3055 to regulate the low voltage, low current output.

I hope that I've provided sufficient detail but if you need clarification, don't hesitate to ask!

If you think that I'm completely out to lunch in this design, let me know why.

I want to stay away from a high frequency switching supply because of the inherent noise that could cause.

Thanks everyone!

Guy

Dear WorldlyGuy
Hello
Would you like to use a simple forward or push pull converter? if yes , these IC s are my offers to you : SG3526N. UC3844
UC3845. you can make your desired power supply with these IC s as well as.
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Hi Goldsmith,

Hmm, ok, never though of venturing into the IC realm for this power supply.

Can you expand on your thoughts of the IC application? Perhaps you have a circuit tucked away somewhere so I can get an idea of what this would look like?

Thanks,

Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.