Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About master boot record

Status
Not open for further replies.

aneesholv

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is Master boot record and how can I read/display MBR in a windows Xp PRo machine ? When will a MBR create ? Is it happen when the time of OS installation ? Please tell me about it deeply

The MBR contains the map telling the beginning and end of disk partitions, what type of format each uses, whether it's visible or hidden, etc.

It is created when you format your disk. It is modified when you create or delete partitions.

There are several free utilities you can use to explore the MBR. They all give a warning that you can ruin your disk file system (if you press the key that saves changes which you make).

I have used MBRTOOL on my vintage 2003 Windows XP machine. I rebuilt my MBR once, with the idea that it would solve a serious problem. MBRTOOL installed its own startup code, overwriting the previous code which had previously allowed me the option of re-installing all XP system files (which can sometimes solve a problem).

The utility does not run under Windows. I have to boot to DOS from a floppy or bootCD. Then run the utility.

Such utilities can be downloaded free. Or they can be found on free boot CD's including the Emergency Boot CD and the Ultimate Boot CD. Also on 'PC wizard' type cd's which can be purchased on Ebay for a small price.

Status
Not open for further replies.