Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with a small amplifier, microphone, and small transducers

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloydV

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm new to the site, so hello.

This is what I want to build. A set of earmuff style hearing protectors (used with firearms) that has a very small, simple amplifier which attaches to an external microphone and passes voice communication.

The only unique thing would be that there needs to be a circuit which will clip gunfire. The idea is allow normal conversation with momentary loud noises removed or greatly reduced.

Such hearing protectors are available for $300 to $400, which is ridiculously over priced.

A clipper is an easy device its just a pair of diodes that conduct at a certain threshold so stopping the signal getting any bigger. The problem is that the gunfire would be limited to the same level as the loudest speech, - too loud? A better way would be to use a noise blanker. You look at the rate of rise of the audio waveform and if its too fast, this rising edge triggers a monostable which "switches off" the audio for a certain time, say .5 secs? Google for "noise blanker".
Frank

Reactions: FloydV

FloydV

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
A clipper is an easy device its just a pair of diodes that conduct at a certain threshold so stopping the signal getting any bigger. The problem is that the gunfire would be limited to the same level as the loudest speech, - too loud? A better way would be to use a noise blanker. You look at the rate of rise of the audio waveform and if its too fast, this rising edge triggers a monostable which "switches off" the audio for a certain time, say .5 secs? Google for "noise blanker".
Frank

Thanks! A blanker would be ideal. .5 seconds sounds right to me.

Is there a place on the forum that has schematics for a blanker? Perhaps one for a small amplifier? I can etch circuit boards, and I'm a fair hand with a soldering pen, but I don't really know where to find schematics. Also, does this forum have sponsors who sell parts?

Floyd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back