Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how do I bias this chip? wierd chip...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkies

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This chip is weird. PDF is attached.
It only has negative supply and gnd.
According to the datasheet VCC=gnd, and VEE=-5V
there is no positive supply though.. hmm..

Can I just connect VCC to 5V and VEE to gnd?
Afterall, it's only the differential voltage that matters right?
I have seen chips with both positive/negative supply and gnd.
This is my first time seeing a chip with just negative supply and gnd.

Attachments

• sy10-100e136.pdf
    95.8 KB · Views: 106

Yes you can but from the data sheet it looks like it might use MECL technology so the logic levels and directions of current flow at the input pins might not be compatible with standard parts.

Brian.

This chip is a member of the ECL 100K series family, which by standard uses a negative power supply -- you'll find the reason in the linked wiki article.

Can I just connect VCC to 5V and VEE to gnd?
Yes, you can, and it will work. Just care about input and output signal levels.

You apparently missed the SY10/100E136 specification of logic level as ECL or PECL on the fast logic product page on Micrel web site. Both are well defined industry standards. PECL means, that the chip can be operated with positive supply as well. Level conversion may be necessary, depending on the interfaced logic. You didn't tell however, what you want to connect to the device.

you can use the 5volt to GND of Chip and gound to VEE to GND of the power supply will work out bcz potential difference accross them will be -5v.....but ofcous it is better to follow the recomandation from the datasheet....

Here is data and application notes...................

Motorola MC 10 & MC 100 series databook (400 pages)
MC10 & MC100 >> SY10 & SY100

High Performance ECL Data ECLinPS and ECLinPS Lite

1. General Information
2. ECLinPS Family Specifications & Device Data Sheets
3. ECLinPS Lite Family Specifications & Device Data Sheets
4. Low–Voltage ECLinPS & E–Lite Device Data Sheets
5. Design Guide & Application Notes

This databook contains device specifications for Motorola’s advanced ECL logic families, ECLinPS and
ECLinPS Lite.
ECLinPS* (ECL in picoseconds) was developed in response to the need for an even higher
performance ECL family of standard logic functions, particularly in the Computer, Automated Test,
Instrumentation and Communications industries. Family general features as well as specific functions
were developed in close consultation with ECL systems design engineers.
ECLinPS offers the user a single gate delay of 500ps max., including package delay, and a flip-flop
toggle frequency of 1100MHz.

Databook : MOTOROLA - ECLinPS and ECLinPS Lite - DL140 — Rev 4

Status
Not open for further replies.