Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why antenna with lower permittivity substrate has wider bandwidth and higher gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasemysun

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I know the conclusion that antenna with lower permittivity substrate tends to have wider bandwidth, higher gain and excites less surface wave.
But I don't know how to explain. Can anybody help me? Thank you very much!

resonance frequency and the bandwidth of patch antennas is inversely related to the substrate permittivity. Hence, the lower the permittivity is, the higher the bandwidth will be.

I would refer to a fundamental law for electrical small antennas, that tells about a limit for the minimum Q-value related to the radius of a sphere where the antenna can be placed in. Using a higher permittivity substrate decreases the antenna size and thus increases Q respectively reduces the bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back