Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

10-bit SAR ADC, Unit-Cap size, Poly-Poly Caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

edabrduser

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For a 10-bit SAR ADC with binary-weighted Capacitive DAC, what should be a good unit-size? Note that the process can only support Poly-Poly caps so bottom plate parasitics are going to quite high, I've read somewhere that they can be as high as 30%.

I am looking for 9+ ENOB. Die area is not a big concern, even speed is under 5 KSPS. Was thinking of simply using a single slope ADC but for 10-bit, the clock will be around 5MHz, maybe too noisy for other sensitive very low noise circuits on the die. Also thought of a Sigma-Delta(first order) but base-band extends to DC and I haven't implemented one, especially with dithering before). Any suggestions? I am open to new architectures within reasonable power and mostly low noise to other circuits that detect Sub-uV range signals.

For speed below <10KSPS sigma-gelta ADC is about standard. It provide reliable in noisy environment, accurate and flexible solution, - tardeoff between Resolution/Speed is achieved by digital harware modification only. Best to use 2-nd order SDM & 3-d order decimation filter, but if you have big margin of oversampling ratio for 10-bit accuracy a 2-nd order decimator can be also allowable.

For 10-bit resolution, 20umx20um to 25umx25um should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back