Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Epoxy Moulding Compound (EMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Googol

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
See the pic below. Is the sealant of the elements called epoxy resin sealant ?

**broken link removed**

Is it called EMC?

Re: epoxy resin sealant?

The black encapsulating material of transistors and IC's is often Epoxy Moulding Compound (EMC). It comes in pellet or shapes for transfer moulding of the packaging.

There are other black polymers used, depending on the application.

Some packaging material has silicon added for improved heat transfer.

The term "sealant" is seldom used in the IC packaging industry. "Encapsulant" is the more accurate description.

Encapsulation protects the die from environmental contamination, insulates the lead frame, removes heat, and provides a light shield to prevent photoelectric effects at the device junctions.

epoxy resin sealant?

Thanks House-Cat,

My English sucks. I'm glad to see your correcting the error in my thread.
Do you mind to tell me whether the following has been expressed clearly or not?

High-filler-loading EMC products can cause more abrasion of extruding machine when extruding. Thus extruding dies and screws should be replaced more frequently. In addition, the metallic impurity caused by the abrasion affects the reliability as well as productivity effect of the products.

Re: epoxy resin sealant?

High-filler-loading EMC products can cause more abrasion of extruding machine when extruding. Thus extruding dies and screws should be replaced more frequently. In addition, the metallic impurity caused by the abrasion affects the reliability as well as productivity effect of the products.

Your English is excellent. My understanding is not always what it should be.

I believe your last sentence is trying to say "affects reliability as well as the production yield." "Yield" is used in the semiconductor industry to express the percentage of good products that exit the manufacturing process. For example, 80% yield would mean that eight of ten chips pass production testing.

I'm not sure what else your words "productivity effect" might mean.

Nice correction

I feel you've professionally corrected "productivity effect" with "production yield'.

The compound noun "productivity effect" refers to "productive efficiency".

And sorry for being late, because my area had a power cut today and just recovered now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back