Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

-20dB slope at crossover frequency in smps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizedale

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
why, in smps feedback loop, ....why does the overall closed loop gain have to be going down at -20dB per decade at the crossover frequency?

I would have thought -40dB would have been ok too?

Surely, as long as the closed loop gain is <1 for frequencies above the crossover frequency then its fine.........(as long as the phase is always >45 degrees above the crossover frequency too.)

so why does the slope of the closed loop have to be going down with a gradient of exactly -20dB per decade at the crossover frequency?

I've never heard anyone say that it has to have a certain slope. In most cases (like with voltage mode converters) it will be going at -40dB or even -60dB at and above the crossover. In general I'd consider a higher slope to be preferable (more filtering of ripple).

The loop phase is directly linked to magnitude slope by elementary network theory laws, respectively can only get worse by introducing additional delays. For a minimal phase negative feedback system, 20 dB/decade slope refers to 90° phase margin and 40 dB to 0° respectively perfect oscillation condition.

You should additionally consider, that a switched mode system usually involves a typical delay of 0.5 switching period.

The loop phase is directly linked to magnitude slope by elementary network theory laws, respectively can only get worse by introducing additional delays. For a minimal phase negative feedback system, 20 dB/decade slope refers to 90° phase margin and 40 dB to 0° respectively perfect oscillation condition.

You should additionally consider, that a switched mode system usually involves a typical delay of 0.5 switching period.

I am wondering if phase margin is big enough, do we still need magnitude slope to -20db/dec at at crossover frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.