Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Prototype development for graphic LCD designs..

Status
Not open for further replies.

uhmgawa

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Unsure if this is the appropriate location for this question, so pardon the potential misclassification.

I'm wondering what others have leveraged when faced with prototype development needing a semi-custom
graphic LCD design. In my case COB modules are too large for compact dimensions, COG locates the
controller inconveniently on an awkward extension of the glass, and suitable COF and TAB configurations
seem unavailable.

The problem is not finding the actual LCD glass (ballpark resolution of 160~192 x 32) which isn't too
difficult, nor finding a suitable interconnect which will dovetail with the design in the form of Zebra or
carbon tape conductor is an issue. But rather finding a controller solution in some sort of reflowable
package is near impossible. At such graphic densities most die are gold bumped chip scale for COG
usage or bare dice for COB wine bond out. The latter is fine for production but for limited run prototype
it is too involved.

I'm looking for some sort of a compromise of a multi-package solution in something like an MLF
chip scale package but have come up empty handed. Has anyone found a source for controllers
agreeable to custom prototype construction? Semi/full custom LCD isn't really a viable option yet
due to the skunkworks budget.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back