Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to test a MOV ? thanxXx

Status
Not open for further replies.

munzir

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to test a MOV ?

Do MOVs still used these days or some else components replaced them in the new circuitry ?

thanks

To test a MOV, apply a high voltage with a current limiting resistor in series (1M ohm?). The MOV should conduct and you them measure the voltage across it. Checking the actual voltage with the spec. voltage should indicate as to its possible use.
Frank

most mains MOVs break over at around 390V, because thats just above the peak of 265VAC mains.

you may be wondering where to get that kind of high voltage.......but you can get it from a voltage doubler rectifier on the mains...........it will be too high so just use a pot divider to get your required voltage.

To test a MOV, apply a high voltage with a current limiting resistor in series (1M ohm?). The MOV should conduct and you them measure the voltage across it. Checking the actual voltage with the spec. voltage should indicate as to its possible use.
Frank

Could you provide me the circuit ? Where to connect the probes ?

thanks

---------- Post added at 00:27 ---------- Previous post was at 00:26 ----------

most mains MOVs break over at around 390V, because thats just above the peak of 265VAC mains.

you may be wondering where to get that kind of high voltage.......but you can get it from a voltage doubler rectifier on the mains...........it will be too high so just use a pot divider to get your required voltage.

where to connect pot divider ? Whats the circuit ?

thanks a lot though for your handy reply

Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV)
Varistor current-voltage characteristics for zinc oxide (ZnO) and silicon carbide (SiC) devices
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ien.gif/220px-Typische_Varistorkennlinien.gif

Example datasheet...............
http://www.ibselectronics.com/ibs/cmpnts/rgaco/catalog/D/MetalOVD2_16-opt.pdf

Connect MOV and resistor in series
Select resistor so that dissipated power do not exceed Rated Wattage value given in MOV´s datasheet
varistor DC current is normally 1.0mA or lower. (check datasheet)
Connect voltage higher than MOV´s Clamping Voltage to R and MOV series circuit.
Measure voltage across MOV

Test circuit
Mov_test_circuit_.jpg

Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV)
Varistor current-voltage characteristics for zinc oxide (ZnO) and silicon carbide (SiC) devices
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ien.gif/220px-Typische_Varistorkennlinien.gif

Example datasheet...............
http://www.ibselectronics.com/ibs/cmpnts/rgaco/catalog/D/MetalOVD2_16-opt.pdf

Connect MOV and resistor in series
Select resistor so that dissipated power do not exceed Rated Wattage value given in MOV´s datasheet
varistor DC current is normally 1.0mA or lower. (check datasheet)
Connect voltage higher than MOV´s Clamping Voltage to R and MOV series circuit.
Measure voltage across MOV

Test circuit
View attachment 62725

thanks a lot

Kindly, tell which one is Vclamp , which one is Imov , Which one is Imaxdc, which one is Pmov & which one is Pmov max ... ? for this part no. having the following characteristics ?

http://obrazki.elektroda.pl/97_1318838598.jpg

bundle of thanks to you

Kindly, tell which one is Vclamp , which one is Imov , Which one is Imaxdc, which one is Pmov & which one is Pmov max ... ? for this part no. having the following characteristics ?

Hope this gives answer................
MOV_clearanc_01.jpg

V/I characteristics for MOV`s 115...750V
MOV_V-I_char_01.jpg

Reactions: munzir

munzir

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Is there any difference (in testing procedure) between MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) or a Varistor ?

Test procedure is same for both.

DO MOVs used only for AC input supplies ? so, do the normal Varistors ?

Both can be used many different circuits (DC and AC ) to absorb transients. ( Usually supply- and power circuits)

Test procedure is same for both.

Both can be used many different circuits (DC and AC ) to absorb transients. ( Usually supply- and power circuits)

My mean to ask , " which supply AC OR DC can be applied to MOV or to normal varistor " ?

Can we apply AC & DC both supplies to it ?

thanks a lot btw

Reactions: munzir

munzir

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I don't know what is youa application but in most cases MOVs can be replaced with TVS (transient voltage suppressor, also called Transil). The advantage on the side of transils is that they degrade much slower from triggering conditions than MOVs do.

Hope this gives answer................
View attachment 62759

V/I characteristics for MOV`s 115...750V
View attachment 62761

Measure the voltage with voltmeter ? If supply ac supply then measure AC volts & if supply dc supply (to the same part) then measure dc volts , Is it correct ?

And the measured voltage should be equal to the calculated voltage, is it correct ?

what should be value of the RL in the example which you taken in above post ? and should i use lamp or use any type resistor & of what wattage ?

thanks

could you give me a video?

Status
Not open for further replies.