Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

trying to make led to blink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manchested

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am trying to make an LED blink using atmega8 and calculate the resistor needed. To draw 30mA, the vo will be at 4.3V, and vf is 2.1V, should I use 4.3v or just 5v to calculate?

char.jpg

You should use 4.3v since the voltage of the pin will be at that level when you have the led consuming 30mA.
30mA is kind of high for a led, it is usually 10-15mA but the AVR can provide the current if this is what you want so there is no problem.

Note that the chip max current is 300mA so I hope you don't intend to drive many leds.

Alex

Hi Alex,
Say if resistance is (4.3 - 2.1)/0.03 = 73.3 ohms
if using 73.3ohms, (5-2.1) / 73 ohms = 39.5mA, and vo will be at 3.9V
this is where I am confused :-?

As soon as your led starts to sink current the output voltage of the pin will start dropping, you can't use 5v to calculate this, you are ignoring the voltage drop.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back