Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

(Altium) Inaccurate board outline after use of "Design of selected objects"

Status
Not open for further replies.

padexx

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

if I draw a round shape or import a round dxf into altium to use as board outline the result is pretty bad (see attached image).
Is there a setting to edit the accuracy?

If I export this to gerber it is even worse...

Thanks in advance!
padexx

Re: (Altium) Inaccurate board outline after use of "Design of selected objects"

I've just tried to create a round PCB in Altium (10) and it's worked fine.

First I select Place->Full Circle
Then with the circle selected choose Design->Board Shape->Define From Selected Objects

Result looks perfect.

pcb1.JPG

pcb2.JPG

Importing of DXF I believe can be troublesome for Altium. You may need a plugin

I've just tried to create a round PCB in Altium (10) and it's worked fine.

The problem is best visible with small radius (less than 2mm). Try to reproduce it with a full circle (radius less than 2mm) and hide the mechanical layer. You will notice that the result is not "round". If you then export the shape as gerber you won't get a round board (as seen in the second image of thefirst post). Don't know if there is a way to increase the accuracy.

We have a lot of boards with a small form factor with special shapes. At the moment we have to do this in EAGLE...

Ah Ok. I've created a board with 1mm radius and I see your problem. Very poor from Altium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back