Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

uc/OS development environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkelly

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Question: What is your recomendation for compiler and/or development environment for uC/OS.
Host is Windows 7. Target is ARM, evaluation board is ARM STM32F107

There are many ways to go and I would like to hear of your experience and recomendations.
Thank you

Selecting a compiler used in a previous port to the STM32 family would be my recommendation.

If you examine the Micrium STM32 Port Page:

Micrium STM32 Ports

You'll notice ports have been successfully done using IAR, KEIL and Atollic TrueSTUDIO. Out of these three compilers I would select the one you feel most comfortable. I have used both IAR and KEIL ARM compilers with good success, although my preference would sightly lean towards KEIL.

BigDog

... although my preference would sightly lean towards KEIL.
BigDog

I traced dow the Keil and downloaded it. It was over 400 Meg in size. Looks rather comprehensive. They have their own RTOS. Do, or did you, use their compiler with uC/OS or with their RTOS? Do you have a recomendation as to one over the other?

Reactions: ali-65

ali-65

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I have developed a uC/OS application using the Keil Compiler, I have not used Keil's RTOS in trial or actual application. It should be noted, neither are free RTOSs and both require a license for commercial applications.

BigDog

Reactions: bkelly

bkelly

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
bigdogguru,
I installed and tried the Keil, following the help file that looks like a tutorial. I was unable to get the first project to compile and attribute that to my lack of experience. I wrote up my experience and posted it on my site:
**broken link removed**
Its at the bottom of the page and named keil_walk_through.pdf. Any suggestions as to how to get this working for either uC/OS or for the Keil RTX will be appreciated.
Thank you

Amr Ali provided me with an rar file that got the uc/OS working for X86 as a thread under Windows 7. It uses Watcom.
Does anyone know of a tutorial or some guidelines on configuring Keil to work with uC/OS for the ARM Cortex processors?

... You'll notice ports have been successfully done using IAR, KEIL and Atollic TrueSTUDIO. Out of these three compilers I would select the one you feel most comfortable. I have used both IAR and KEIL ARM compilers with good success, although my preference would sightly lean towards KEIL.
BigDog

I sent an email to IAR asking about pricing and saying it is for my education and not for commercial use. The full license is $5999. With a 256K code limit its $3999. A one year option is $1500. As the probably of using the specific IAR environment in the future is a bit small, that will not be worth the cost.

I am working with the KEIL now and trying to develop the project. The micrium web site has a download specificly for IAR and Keil. After fetching the download it says almost nothing about Keil. I will start by creating a project and adding in the modules in the port specific directories of the uC/OS directory structure and see where that gets me. I will be keeping a log of my progress. Check my profile for the web site.

Suggestions and hints are solicited and welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back