Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help modifier 11W to 4W CFL lamp circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

minhlam

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All
Could you help me :how value of R.C,L must be change for drive my 4watt 120Vac fluorescent tube.
In this schema 11w .240v CFL lamp driver.
Thank you in advance
lam
SCHEMA 11W.JPG

Just plug the 4watts CFL in the place of the later. The difference is in the wattage of the ballast and not the volatge. 11 watts ballast is capable of handling upto 11 watts of tubes. 4 watts CFL will consume 4watts and the ballast will work fine for the same. And as you work with High voltage, you are at your own. take precautions before handling.
Cheers

Dear Pranam77
***** Very very helpful*****
***** million thank you for your help ***
I tried my 4W fluorescent tube with 13W circuit driver.Tube glow much brighter and my wattmeter show only 3watt.Incredible for my mind.Could you help me to know more question :
If I do that the circuit and the tube will live normal or not ???
Thank you again for your time
Minhlam

I am sorry for more other question :
My 4W fluorescent work great with 13 W CFL lamp circuit.Could you help me to know more:
If I used 4W lamp tube will suitable work with old 20W ballast + starter,??? If not please help me to know why.
Thank you in advance

Ok..the answer for your first question...
Yes..the life will be normal. Practically when the 4watt CFL is used with 4 watt ballast, a certain amount of heat is generated. And in practical, lesser the heat more the life in electronics. Thus when you use a ballast with more capacity to a small bulb, the ballast will live longer as less heat or No heat is generated. Whereas bulb life will always vary depending on the frequency, volatge fluctualtions, switching on/off cycles, etc etc.

Answer to the 2nd question:
As i have seen and experienced, the old system of wire wound choke with starter will work better than electronic ballasts and too CFL's will have better life in this setup. But the built in starter will always have a life lesser than the bulb which will create a problem in this traditional method.

Cheers

Dear Pranam77
I have learned too much from you,Thank you a lot for your time to teach me.
Kind regards

Dear pranam 77
At my city I live hard to find a 4 W ballast(magnetic+starter)
So I like to winding my own a ballast 4W.So Could you help me to
know what dimension iron core and no of wire.If you dont have the time, Please Just tell me how much inductance (mH) must be use(4W) or an formular for calculating.
Thank you in advance .Kind regards

I guess re-inventing the wheel is not recommended as you can even use 9, 11, 18, or even 20 watt CFL ballast available arround in any light dealers. I guess there will be light/ illumination dealers in your city. After all why particularely are you stuck up with 4 watter? you can use any other high watters too.
Cheers

Dear Pranam77
Yes ,thank you for your advice.But I want to learn from low to high.Anyway Thank you again for your time reply my question.
Kind regards

Frankly speaking i never knew or i am intretsed to know how much turns a regular choke will have or need to be wound. Thus in case you are intrested, you may may wait for responses from other members who have the winding details or try opening one and rewinding it again.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.