Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will the hard drive makes any sound while running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinodstanur

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I could hear some noise from the hard drive of my laptop. Is this normal? Sound is not so high...But still I could hear it :)

yes , some brands does makes some sound while reading data , check its not from fan , the fan below varies its speed according to the heat production , too causes sound.

yes it is normal for traditional hard drives to make noise. i wouldn't be worried

its a new laptop;-( Just bought 1 month ago... So should I replace the hard disk?

My laptop's original hd only made the normal clicking noises.

A few years ago I replaced it with a new hd (IBM-Hitachi Deskstar). From the start this one would frequently make a squeaking sound that lasts two seconds and goes downward in pitch. Like it's groaning to a stop.

Worked fine however.

I recently replaced it with a higher capacity Deskstar hd. It makes the same frequent squeaking groaning sound. Works fine.

I don't know what component there might be in a hd that would make such a sound. It's not the same as the sound of excessive head movement (thrashing).

Any software to check the hard disk ? I mean to check how much clusters are not accessible or some thing link that?

---------- Post added at 10:07 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

You didnt mention how old is the drive. Its a symptom that the life is coming to an end. Take a backup as soon as possible.
Hard Disk Failure Sounds - YouTube
But it seems that the sound in the video is not real, I doubt it is artificial... (just my doubt :) )

Vinod, the sound are recorded with high sensitive microphone and are 100% of real HDD's. Coz once it was my own Desktop giving such noises and it was my real luck that i took a backup and within a month the HDD failed resulting in a lot of badsectors and irrecoverable data. Anyway, if you say thaz your new laptop, complain this to the Company and the Dealer and see if some thing goes wrong with HDD, they will enetratin a warrantee for such faults. But i guess your data will be at risk every moment.
Cheers

But I checked :
my computer >> disk(C D E F etc) >> properties >> tools >> check now (error checking)
and the result was positive!

Last edited:

Result was posetive mean you found errors on the HDD?..***...saved you..
Cheers

Result was posetive mean you found errors on the HDD?..***...saved you..
Cheers
noooooo...:) I mean, no errors shown....Also, for the C drive, it scanned at boot time (because not allowed at OS run time) . That also showing no errors...
Now think, I could assume the mild sound may be the nature of the ACER aspire series...Any way, I need to confirm it by asking this to acer users.....

Last edited:

Backup data immediate due precautions. Use some smartdrive info software to see diagnostics for some errors values, working time, and other things.

Noise is NOT Normal!!!

If You dont have this I will send You on Your email.

A few years ago I replaced it with a new hd (IBM-Hitachi Deskstar). From the start this one would frequently make a squeaking sound that lasts two seconds and goes downward in pitch. Like it's groaning to a stop.
Worked fine however.
(thrashing).
I got a similar situation with the same hitachi brand , goes without replacement and lost tons of data in it

Vinod,
You did not mention the type of sound. There are two type of sound coming out the HDD. One is continuous of High Pitched which from the Spinning motor of HDD and the other is some thing moving on the quests, this is made by the Head motor but it will come out only when the data is being accessed not always where as the spinning motor sound will be all the time till the Laptop is ON. In your specified situation my advice TAKE EASY. ;-)

I think that any sound from laptop hard disk is not normal specially for newer laptops and notebooks. In exception if laptop is made in '90. Hard disks in newer laptops are good tucked in laptop plastics body and other parts. Some strange noise come from optical drive specially when some non reading - scrathed dvd or cd is inserted.

Smaller 2,5" 1,8" HD have not noise like 5,25" when head moving or motor spining.

My opinion is if You have some very important data on it, perform backup. Why to risc?

Buy External Transcend StoreJet or familiar external disk and make copy.

It is very informative. Nice work!There is some useful information which helps people a lot. Thanks, it's very helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back