Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Primary and Secondary inductance of Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baranidaran

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to design a transformer that converts 230V,50Hz into 12V, 500mA. What should be the primary and secondary inductance? How can I calculate that?

Are you talking about a SMPS transformer, or just a 50/60Hz transformer? Is your output DC or AC?

One way to decide your primary inductance should be such that you magnetizing current is <5% of max load current. But this is not a golden rule. In reality i believe for 50Hz transformer it would be primarily driven by no of turns needed to hold-of voltage in primary

Okay, for a AC line transformer it's simpler. You need to select a core first, which is suitable for your transmitted power. Then, as atripathi said, you calculate the number of primary turns needed to suppress magnetizing flux/current, and prevent core saturation. Then you decide your turns ratio and wind the secondary. Then whatever inductances you end up with are the appropriate inductance.

Hi Baranidaran
I want to design a transformer that converts 230V,50Hz into 12V, 500mA. What should be the primary and secondary inductance? How can I calculate that?
It is so simple ! i can suggest you two ways ! but both of them require selecting core type , before each thing ! for iron core and EI type , you can use the formula : EI< or = 30sqrt(AFE ) . AFE will be 1.2sqrt(P1) . do you want this way ? if yes i can guide you more .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.