Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

i2c implementation on FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mateushh

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i2c fpga

Hello!

I am a newbie in this topic, so excuse me, if the topic seems stupid. :wink:

Anyway, if you would help me I'd be grateful!

I would like to implement an i2c interface on an FPGA chip using the Xilinx environment. All I need is a scheme (I mean gates and flip-flops) or a description of such interface in VHDL or Verilog languages. I tried to look for it at Philips website, but all I found was only the shemes that described the idea of the interface.

Do you have any suggestions or ideas? Or mayby you could give me a hint, if it is actually possible or where to start to look for it?

Thanks in advance

Mateush

fpga i2c

Have you looked at opencores.org? That have an I2C controler core.

The controler is wishbone complient so if you don't know about wishbone, that will be something else to learn (wishbone is just a versatile SoC bus interface standard). Though you could probably strip the parts you want.

xilinx i2c core

See XAPP315 from XILINX at
**broken link removed**

xapp333

IT IS DEPENDEDNT ON YOU'R CPU INTERFACE -
THE I2C PART IS VERY STANDARD, BUT YOU OUGHT TO GLUE IT TO THE RIGHT CPU INTERFACE.
I MUST ADD THAT I2C LOGIC IS NOT SO ADEQUETE TO SOME FPGA, BECAUSE OF IT PROBLEMATIC INTERFACE LEVELS (SHORT, OPEN DRAIN), AND BECAUSE OF IT SUPPORTING 5V LEVELS.

Status
Not open for further replies.