Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

People and bike counter (for use on a bike path)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liamlambchop

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

My job is to source or make a durable, inexpensive counter which will be used to count the number of people who use an outdoor bike path. The counter will need to be able to count both people and bikes. I am thinking about using an infra-red beam which when broken by the upper body of a person would cause a count to occur (e.g 1st break in beam = 1 person/bike, 2nd break in beam = 2 people/bikes, 3rd break in beam = 3 people/bikes, etc). I then need to have the data from the counter sent to a computer so that the boys in the office can know how many people are using their bike path in real time. I am using a GSM modem to have this data sent to them.

So what I need is:
1. A counter. This can be bought, or made by me. Do you know of any commercial counters which would be durable enough to be used in rain, hail, and shine? Alternatively, are you aware of any instructables, circuit diagrams, DIY projects which I could use as a guide to make my counter.
2. A way to have my counter 'talk' with my GSM modem so that it can send the data from the counter to the guys in the office.
3. An end product which is cheap, easy to construct, and durable.

Wach'all think? Any input would be so appreciated!

Hello,

I have seen bike counters in my city (Barcelona) and tipically they are buried pressure sensors (like car detectors). If the system should be robust and vandalism-free I would suggest this option instead of infrared. I have found some providers of systems like this on internet:
Traffic Counters | Vehicle Monitoring Systems | Car and Road Traffic Counter | Sensource Inc.
TRAFx Products: vehicle counter, trail counter, bike/bicycle counter, etc. Bike Counter
People counters - ECO counter - Counting people system, bike-counter ... (This ones have specific products for bike counters, actually they have made the bike counters in my city).
Also, if robustness is important and you want to make your own system I would use an industrial compact PLC for counting and communication to GSM modem.

Hey thanks emontllo. Those links were very helpful, as well as the PLC idea.
I don't think I'll go with the pressure sensing idea though, because the bike path is already laid, and I don't want to dig it up for the sake of installation. The path is in a rural area also, so I don't anticipate vandalism would be a problem.
Those providers you listed were exactly what I was looking for. The 'eco-counter' company even has the option for GSM modem. However I am trying to keep my project from being locked to a particular company - a type of open source philosophy - which I think may happen if I use the 'eco-counter' GSM modem.
Do you know of any circuit diagrams/diy project instructables, etc, of an infrared counter?

Hello,

I understand the kind of project you are talking about.
Reggarding the infrared sensor I would use a good quality industrial one... otherwise it WILL cause false detections due to sun light. If you want to make your own circuit I have attached an idea I saw in EDN I think it will help. If you use a PLC it will be much simpler, like connecting the sensor output to one PLC input and then programming a simple algorithm.
By the way, how will your circuit be powered?

Ernest

Attachments

• Solar powered counter.pdf
    7.7 MB · Views: 92

Hey Ernest thanks for that. I don't have to knowledge yet to deconstruct the schematic in the link you sent me, so I think that the PLC idea is a good one. I will also look for a good industrial IR sensor. Do you have any recommendations?
I am thinking about, instead of a PLC, using an arduino microcontroller. This will be cheaper I think, and also will be more compact. I will have to protect it much better though. I don't want corrosion to occur of course!
The circuit will be powered using a solar panel :D
I will no doubt have to incorporate some form of voltage regulator circuit too...

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back