Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Uncomplicated mechanics for joystick with increased accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepOne

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Accuracy is reached by means of using step-up gear to make full use of entire surface of the measuring resistors.

The electronic part may be uncomplicated per your title (in terms of potentiometer travel). However the mechanical part was a challenge, I can see.

Ingenious method to implement joystick action.

Commendable workmanship with wood and gears.

The electronic part may be uncomplicated
Yes, if use connection to game port, it is enough in most cases.

If need additional features and connection through USB - possible can use "MJoy16" controller developed by Mindaugas Milasauskas.
Аnd if implant steel ballbearings in wooden framework design is got nearly eternal.
Also there is sense to fill lubrificant in body of variable resistor, for increase lifetime.

My experience making a joystick was the one for my VIC-20 computer.

It was a potentiometer joystick (as yours is).

I made it from a $3 part purchased at Radio Shack. It had two potentiometers for xy input.

The stick could turn each pot independently. I forget how the mechanism worked.

I mounted it on a block of wood.

I hooked up a multi-conductor ribbon cable according to the VIC-20 schematic diagrem.

I attached a DB9 connector at the end.

And it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.