Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Issue FACTORY JTAG command

Status
Not open for further replies.

TenmaNeko

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I'm using a Cyclone III LS on a board. It's programmed using the JTAG connector and a Serial Device. I need to reprogram the FPGA, but apparently the LS series has a security feature which prevents reprogramming unless a "FACTORY" command is sent via JTAG. I'm using the Altera USB Blaster to connect to the board.
Is it possible to do this using the Quartus II software? If not, are there tools out there that will work with this cable and allow me to send JTAG commands?

Thanks in advance.

FACTORY command is used to program a volatile key, used together with encrypted configuration files. It can only work, if the FPGA is connected to a backup battery. You can always use regular unencrypted designs with the C III LS device. Why do you think that reprogramming is inhbited with your board?

Reactions: zqy111

zqy111

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Well, I receive an error when I attempt to reprogram: "Error: Can't configure device. Expected JTAG ID code 0x027030DD for device 1, but found JTAG ID code 0x00000000."

Altera's Knowledge Database indicates that when a Cyclone III LS is programmed from a Serial Configuration Device, it is prevented from being programmed by another method until the FACTORY command is issued via JTAG. It is a security feature to prevent alterations.

But until I can issue that command, I cannot reprogram the FPGA.

Reactions: zqy111

zqy111

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
O.K. I see. But you should be able to block loading of configuration image.

Ah, that's true. Pulling nCONFIG low is probably the easiest method?

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 ----------

On one of my other boards, the FPGA believed that the Serial Device had valid code on it, despite it being new and presumably blank. So now I have a board that hasn't been programmed, and can't be!

Okay, what one must do is pull nCONFIG low, issue the FACTORY command (0x281) using Quartus .tcl scripts, and release nCONFIG. This will allow you to reprogram and use JTAG normally.

Thanks for the information, may be I'll need it once.

Status
Not open for further replies.