Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Project ideas for Parallel Programming. Target area- signal, image process, FFT etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

delon

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I am taking a parallel programming course with X10 language developed by IBM. We need to work on a parallel programming project
for the whole semester. I am brainstorming from the first day of the class to come up with a project proposal. I would appreciate if anyone share some project ideas with me.

My background is Electrical Engineering and we can choose project from ANY field. As I am not a CS guy, it'll be hard for me to select a
project on AI or the related core CS field. So, I am thinking about choosing a topic from digital signal or image processing related area. As
an example, I think, implementing FFT in parallel will be one tentative area.

Please help me with your expertise. Thanks in advance!

Hi delon,

Image processing frequently requires sequential processing ( decoding, enhancing, segmentation, classification ) and not parallel processing.
FFT also doens´t requires too much processing, regardless if at realtime.

So, at first sight, I could sugest you implement some distributed mainframe ( as done at Grid Computing ).

+++

Reactions: delon

delon

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am trying my best to do explore various areas of parallel computation. Currently I am reading a paper on parallel implementation of travelling salesman problem. Do you have experience in this area ? I am familiar with the basic data structure and algorithms but didn't take any
advanced algorithm course. However TSP seems interesting to me. What do you suggest ?

delon,

I´m not familiar with X10 language. Actually, I neither know its features.
I just take some look at TSP in university (~15 years ago), at Neural Network course, but I remember it is also characterized by a sequential structure algorithm.
And also adviced you about Image Processing and FFT issues, due I´m a litle bit familiar and worked with.

If you are subjected to a parallel programming, it is derirable work in a project in wich the tasks distribution become an everall beneficit.

+++

Here are a few links to X10/HPC tutorials:

X10 Tutorial

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I believe if you register with X10 CodeHaus, they provide quite a few resources for X10 Developers.

Hope the info helps.

BigDog

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.