Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Very simple question regarding LEDs and FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sink0

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
On a lot of FPGA designs i see LEDs connected with the Anode at the VCC and Cathode at the pin. What is the advantage of this configuration considering a Push-Pull output (open-drain with internal pull-up would be obvious)?

Thank you!

possibly the fpga pin is not symmetrical, can sink more current than source or vice versa. you have to refer to the datasheet for that. in general it is not a good practice to power leds directly from the fpga, better use some kind of driver.

I am talking about signaling leds... i can't see a reason use an external driver for that, would be a huge waste of space and money with no meaningful gain. Anyway i will take a look at this scpecification ata datasheet but i can't see why that's the reason. Most of FPGAs (at least low end ones) can drive up to 24mA on any pin.

Thank you!

Some FPGA power up with a weak pull-up resistor at all I/O pins. If you won't signals turned on before configuration, you should define I/O signals active low. It's also usual, to have higher drive strength for low side transistors, but the ration isn't very high for usual CMOS I/O standards.

I don't see a problem to drive moderate LED currents (e.g. 5 or 10 mA) from FPFA outputs directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.