Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Saturation current of LLC converter primary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizedale

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am trying to discover what is the saturation current for a primary of an LLC resonant converter.

It is an ETD34 core.

The K value is 0.8.

If the secondary is open, and i measure the primary inductance, then the value that i get is presumably the value that i put into .....

i(sat) = B.A.N/L

where B = 300mT
A = min cross sectional area of core
N = total number of primary turns
L = The inductance vlaue of the primary, measured with the secondary open

you see, i am just wondering that maybe the saturation current is higher when one has a high leakage term?, .........as one does, in an LLC resonant converter

I don't understand the purpose of expressing the saturation behaviour of a transformer (with less or more leak inductance) by a saturation current. I would always refer to flux respectively voltage integral.

Yeah I see what FVM is saying, since it's not primary current that saturates the core, but magnetizing current, which is different, and is derived from the volt-time product (and the number of turns). So just use the normal V*t=B*A*N equation (though instead of using V.t you'll have to make it an integral as FvM implies).

Defining a saturation current only really makes sense for flyback converters, or choke inductors, where the primary current is only magnetizing, not coupled.

if it is Volt.seconds then surely all i need to do is multiply the maximum on time by the maximum voltage across the primary?

In other words, the saturation condition for a LLC transformer is basically similar to a non-resonant transformer. Because the LLC circuit can perform a resonant boost operation, I would rather refer to maximum voltage on the secondary side to determine saturation limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.