Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use relay to control PS/2 mouse and keyboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericmar

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all, I just wonder if I can use a relay to enable/disable a PS/2 mouse and keyboard operation. For example, I want to disable them from being used during the time under Windows running, and probably re-enable it afterwards.

There are 6 pins in PS/2 as in:
1 - Data
2 - Not Implemented
3 - Ground
4 - Vcc (+5V)
5 - Clock
6 - Not Implemented

I'm not sure which pin I can use to enable/disable its operation.

Does anyone know ?

Thanks!

Regards,
Eric

put a relay across the ground or Vcc pin that will be open when you want it disabled and it will prevent the mouse from getting power to run.

how you get the relay on and off from inside the OS would require using the parallel port or something.

sertorius said:
put a relay across the ground or Vcc pin that will be open when you want it disabled and it will prevent the mouse from getting power to run.

how you get the relay on and off from inside the OS would require using the parallel port or something.
Hotplugging will damage the motherboard!!!

ericmar said:
sertorius said:

Hotplugging will damage the motherboard!!!
Are you sure? Seems strange that you are asking a question and correcting others at the same time.
Anyway, I've plugged and unplugged my mouse/keyboard hundreds of times while the PC is running ... works fine so far.

PS/2 mouse has to be connected to the PC at boot time, else it won't get detected.
Connecting/disconnecting during operation usually works, but is bad practice.
Better get USB keyboard and mouse (or a PS/2 --> USB protocol converter).

What I'm trying to do is disable the PS/2 mouse and keyboard when some conditions are fulfilled. For example, when time's up, the keyboard and mouse will be disabled (locked) using hardware method so that user cant use them temporarily until another condition is fulfilled later. I managed to disable them now by cutting the DATA or CLOCK line during the operation when Windows is running and they can be resumed after I connect back the line! However, I'm not sure if I need to cut both DATA and CLOCK lines or just either one of them?

just disconecting the data will do...is the method that one switcher from elektor used...and you're not hot swaping,so your mainboard is safe

maneco said:
just disconecting the data will do...is the method that one switcher from elektor used...and you're not hot swaping,so your mainboard is safe
Why DATA only? I dont agree with u.
I just did some experiments on the PS/2 keyboard. I found that even if I disconnect the DATA line but still pressing something on the keyboard, when I connect back the DATA line, I'll still get the things that I typed when the DATA line is not connected. So I guess it would be better to disconnect the CLOCK line rather than the DATA line.

Because while in operation, Keyboard will send synchorocouns and DATA to PC, so if you only cut data line, your pc still receive DATA, too. But sended DATA is wrong DATA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back