Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can we apply +ve and -ve voltages to a comparator if we operate the comparator in a s

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkjreddy

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can we apply +ve and -ve voltages to a comparator if we operate it with single supply

I am haivng a doubt on using LF356/general op-Amp as a comparator.

I do believe that LF356 Op amp can be operated with dual mode supply +12v and -12V and single mode supply.suppose if I am operating the op amp in single supply mode, say with +12 volts and other pin is grounded to make a comparator.
Now in this case can we apply negative voltage to the inverting or inverting inputs if other pin is used as a reference input and applied +ve voltages. Kindly go throught the picture for more details

With thanks

kjreddy

Attachments

• lf356.bmp
    834.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Hi,
Here you have complete information:
LF356 pdf, LF356 description, LF356 datasheets, LF356 view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

and
snap.jpg

Why don't you refer to a LF356 datasheet? There is a specification called "Absolute maximum ratings". The datasheet tells explicitely
However, neither of the input voltages should be allowed to exceed the negative supply as this will cause large currents to flow which can result in a destroyed unit.
I'm under the impression this is pretty clear.

Besides "Absolute Maximum Ratings" there's also a "Input Common-Mode Voltag Range". With LF356, the common mode range starts above 3 V above the negative supply voltage. In other words, the devices isn't suited for typical single supply applications.

P.S.: You won't hardly find an OP or comparator, that can accept input voltages more than a few 100 mV below the negative supply rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back