Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sensibility list / adc clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

glias

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,
I have a (probably stupid) question about a clock signal provided by a rotary encoder on a motor. I have to use this digital signal to sample an analog signal with an external ADC, this signal is in fact the clock of my ADC. My question is : can I create a process with the encoder output in the sensibility list ? or do I have to synchronize the process with the master clock of the FPGA and then test the edge of my external input ?

The question can't be answered without analyzing the respective data pathes. It's sometimes suitable or even necessary to create additional clock domains in a FPGA design, but you also should consider how you want to transfer the data consistently between clock domains. If the speed of the external signal allows synchronous processing within the main clock domain, it's clearly the preferred method.

Hello,
Thanks a lot for your reply. The encoder provide a 600kHz "clock" signal and the clock of the FPGA is 50MHz, so I think I can synchronize the ADC clock with the FPGA clock.

If its running that slow, I would just use the slow "clock" as a clock enable, and run all logic at 50MHz. Its quite easy to detect rising edges at that speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back