Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing GSM module with microcontroller and GSM chipset/IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasoma

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hullo forum
Can I use an 8051 micrcontroller as a gsm IC/chipset and can I use it in a GSM module? If no which microcontrollers can be used as GSM chipsets?
I want to design a GSM module , I know it should have a microcontroller and a GSM chipset/IC. The microcontrollers can be 8051,ATmega32 or PIC but what of the GSM chipset? Pse direct me I need your advice here.

Re: 8051 microcontroller

GSM modem used something called base band processors. they are not low wnd controllers. they are DSP based controllers , and are usually 32 bit ARM processors.

---------- Post added at 17:52 ---------- Previous post was at 17:50 ----------

you cannot design a GSM chip at home... you can use any controller to write application program and interface to GSM modems..

Can I use a GSM module taking from a handset to be used with a microcontroller? If yes how? How can I identify the module in a handset which will be okay while programming with a MCU?

You cannot take out the module as it is SMD soldered(In home difficult) But you can dismantle the speaker and display and use it(If you want it to be Compact)
Since you need to prove ur design i would suggest you to purchase GSM modem(SUNROM- modems are small) From there you need to build power supply and serial circuitry.

Unless you are willing to spend countless hours reverse engineering a device only to find out that it is not adaptable to your application, I would suggest you follow kirangowle's advise and purchase a GSM module or eval board with supporting documentation.

There are several GSM modules/eval boards available with a wide range of features and prices.

BigDog

Thanks u all for the quicker reply

Here, the price of a GSM Module is much higher than a mobile handset. I can get a handset with around 1200tk but a GSM Module costs 3500tk. That's why I wanted to extract the module from a handset.

You can buy a seconds mobile phones( Make sure it supports AT commands) and use it for your application.

You can buy a seconds mobile phones( Make sure it supports AT commands) and use it for your application.

Yes, using a phone which supports AT Commands is an option. Your choice between using a phone, rather than extract the module, and purchasing a GSM Module largely depends on the final application and the required features to accomplish the tasks.

If you only need SMS to transmit/receive small data packets in text format, then using a secondhand phone could be an option.

However, if you need TCP/IP services I would recommend purchasing a GSM Module/Eval Board with the required features and good documentation.

BigDog

Currently I need only the SMS send/receive feature. How can I be able to know which handset supports at commands?

Go for cheaper phones if available, mostly sony erricons, seimens are cheaper.

try these..
seimens:
C55, C56, C60, C65

Nokia 2100, 3610, 5210, 8210, 8250, 8290, 8850, 8855, 8890

Sony Ericsson R520, R310, R320, T28, T39, T68, T68i, R600, T610, T310

Thanks...
I'll check to manage a handset and let you know.

Is it possible to use a EDGE/GPRS modem for this purposes? I'll be able to manage it. Probably I'm getting a old (but working) Nokia 3220. :(

EDGE/GPRS modem is usb powered. Is it somehow possible to find the serial communication ports (Tx/Rx) of the USB EDGE/GPRS modem by dismantling the device?

EDGE/GPRS modem is usb powered. Is it somehow possible to find the serial communication ports (Tx/Rx) of the USB EDGE/GPRS modem by dismantling the device?

Possibly. Do you have the exact model number of the EDGE USB Modem? A link to the user manual, etc?

BigDog

I did not find any documents regarding two modems (1) HUAWEI EG162G & (2) HUAWEI E1550
These two are operator branded modem available in our market. But I didn't find any manual. :sad:

Another problem you may encounter with the GSM/GPRS USB modems is many are branded so that they only operate with a particular company's service. There are usually ways around this issue, however it usually does exist.

BigDog

Currently this is not an issue to me. I'm using their SIM and will also use for sms testing. I searched the web and found it can be unlocked. I just want to start...

I got a Nokia 3220. I connected the phone to PC COM port using MAX232CPE with the help of the circuit in the below link -
**broken link removed**
I used PC's USB power to provide power to MAX IC.
But AT command is not successful from Windows XP's hyper terminal

You may need to put the phone into "AT Command Entry Mode".

Have you found the phone's documentation covering it's AT Command Set?

If so, can you either upload or post a link?

BigDog

Some garbage characters are being received in the hyper terminal -

com.JPG
Hyper terminal screenshot

This happens just after connecting with com port1 and continues until disconnect.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back