Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xilinx ISE Design Suit problem - XPS and ISE Project Navigator won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyage

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I recently installed Xilinx ISE Design Suit 13.1 for studying. I inserted the licence file right and everything, but unfortunately I faced a few strange problems... First of all, I can't run all the tools. So far I've succesfully ran Plan Ahead and EDK SDK, but I can't open neiter EDK Xilinx Platform Studio (XPS) nor ISE Project Navigator. When i want to run it through Start Menu as usual, only a black MS-Dos window shows up for a second and after that nothing happens!

What's more, I can't even uninstall the software now. When i go to Xilinx ISE 13.1-->Accessories-->uninstall, nothing happens either. My OS is Win XP (SP3).

Any ideas what could be the problem and how to solve it?

Thanks in advance!

Try running it as an administrator.

Try running it as an administrator.

Hmm I tried it both. Trying to uninstall through "Add/Remove" (Control panel) didn't bring me anywhere - i can't even find the Xilinx program there! So strange! As for administrator, I tried that way as well, but I got the same result. Nothing happens. :(

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

Update: Just out of curiosity I instelled updated version of Xilinx ISE Design Suit, which is 13.2. Guess what? The same problem! Plan Ahead and SDK works ok, but Xilinx Platform Studio (XPS) and ISE Project Navigator won't start. Again, just a black window coming and going instantly. It is not opening. During installation no error occured. Now I have two versions and same problem. :(

One more thing: I tried to run another Xilinx program called Xinfo to make sure the license is valid and to see install.log. However, I got an error saying: Enviroment variable 'TEMP' not defined or points at a non-existant directory. Please define it to a directory location for temporary files. Any idea what's wrong? I'm confused, I've never dealt with Enviroment variables so far.

Last edited:

Ah, you've got one of those pesky licensing problems. These are a major pain. Research the Xilinx site for information about setting up environment variables, licensing, etc. Worst case, open a Webcase on the xilinx site and they should be able to help you.

Ah, you've got one of those pesky licensing problems. These are a major pain. Research the Xilinx site for information about setting up environment variables, licensing, etc. Worst case, open a Webcase on the xilinx site and they should be able to help you.

Yes, you were right! It wasn't actually a licensing problem, but like you said, the problem lied in environment variables. Today I finally solved the problem. Phew! :)

The whole point was that my ISE Design Suite wasn't installed on drive C, but on some other drive, which caused some problems with Enviroment variables and similar stuff. The Windows ISE Installer (which uses your operating system's TEMP environment variable to determine where to unpack the installation file) uses the default directory "C:\TEMP", which in my case didn't exist (since I don't use drive C) and my real "TEMP" is located on other drive. Opening a DOS window and typing "echo %TEMP%" reports the path to the TEMP directory. To change the location of my TEMP directory to another drive, I had to edit file called settings32.bat in SysGen folder and set the new location of variable TEMP. After that, everything worked, including unistall option. :)

Thanx for your help!

All because companies are worried (justifiably) about people stealing their software. What a nuisance, but glad you solved it.

All because companies are worried (justifiably) about people stealing their software. What a nuisance, but glad you solved it.

I am also having a similar problem. But my my 13.2 used to work before. I don't know what happened.
Also it gives no error. Running system checker makes the window from stop working and it gets closed.
No idea where to debud.

Please help someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back