Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Extend Digital Camera Battery's Life for 10+ Hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckyNorris

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to Extend Digital Camera Battery's Life for 6 Hours?

I recently purchased a Mini DV VD80 Pocket Digital Video Camera:

31OAsEx2pAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I would like to have it record 6 hours of continuous video footage. It has a
Built-in Li rechargeable battery which lasts about 2.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

Edit: 8 GB microSD is the max storage capacity. 40 minutes per GB recording time = about 6 hours of footage.

Also, the MINI-DV doesn't allow recoding while the battery pack is connected. Using an AC adapter converter to USB also doesn't allow recording since it must be the actual adapter with a mini plug.

Last edited:

Hi.

I would say if the device refuses to operate when charging or conected to external power source, that's one serious design flaw.

Depending on where you're located in the world, you might have some customers rights to return it if purchased on internet. Probably not, thaught.

Hi.

I would say if the device refuses to operate when charging or conected to external power source, that's one serious design flaw.

Depending on where you're located in the world, you might have some customers rights to return it if purchased on internet. Probably not, thaught.

I would have to agree with you... But the video camera is only 2", so they might have had to sacrafice functionality to make it so tiny. Anyways, I was thinking of connecting three Li rechargeable batteries together and having them distribute the current evenly. Is that possible?

. . . I was thinking of connecting three Li rechargeable batteries together and having them distribute the current evenly. Is that possible?
I suppose you meant to use those batteries as an external source. But if I get your first post right, that won't solve the original problem - device can't operate when running on external power source?

From another forum,

carsruleok 2 weeks ago
@carsruleok - Well done. I managed myself to adapt a 1200 mAh (3,7 v) battery to an old MD80 I had. Fully charged, It lasts two and a half hours of continuous recording now. I guess 1200 mAh is the most the battery-charging circuits of the camera can handle. I don't recommend going over that! It muy burn them! Cheers!
slick4401 2 weeks ago
ShareRemoveFlag for spamBlock UserUnblock User@slick4401

What is this 1200mah battery? Would be very useful.I guess it doesn't fit inside the MUVI.

I got two of the clones working satisfactory,one of them gave me two hours filming.Weird.Also I set the time ok.
carsruleok 2 weeks ago
@carsruleok - The battery is bigger indeed, very flat. I bought it at an electronics store (3,7 v / 1200 mAh). I'm not sure if it is made for a cell phone or a digital camera. Anyway, I welded a cable from its terminals to the camera's circuit board and it worked just fine. I discarded the metal case and wrapped the camera's circuit board, the cable and the battery with black pvc tape. It is extremely useful because it is so flat and it looks nothing like a camera. Quite hard to detect. Cheers!
External 4700ma laptop's cell charged with an external charger externally.

Thanks for the help guys!

Do you think it's possible to connect the Li battery (connected to the camera) to another Li battery, and have it charge and power the camera at the same time?

Also, the battery is: 120 mAh 3.7V

Would I be able to use a bigger battery (i.e. 2Ah 3.7V) to extend the time is stays charged?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Yes they be connected in parallel. Chaarger will do the charging but now battery has ten times more capacity.It will take more time to charge ie if it was taking one hour, now it will take 10 hours.
while connecting together make sure they are on equal voltage level. if one is high discharge a little bit. If they are not equal, current will flow from one to other. if it is high it is damaging.

I was thinking of trying something like this:

How would I connect the battery to the circuit on the camera and still be able to charge it with the charger?

These are good items. If it would be me i take working cell from old laptop costig $.2. Make charger of my own for less than $1.5.You can source small male and socket. Attach female plug with camera and battery and male to chader output.

Thanks for the tips ALERTLINKS! It might be kind of difficult to find a 3.7v laptop battery but I'll look around.

Also, I'm not quite sure I know what you mean by using a small male and socket, and female plug. Are there any examples online or in an older post perhaps that you could post as an example? Thanks again for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back