Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic ethernet interface info

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitchell

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ethernet interface schematic

Hi,

I've got a bit of a problem. I need to learn a lot about getting analog DC voltages onto ETHERNET really quick.

So far I understand that i have to convert my analog signal to digital, then feed it to a microcontroller. then I have to write code which will arrange this data to be passed on to an ethernet controller chip.

Can anyone recommend a certain microcontroller to use with a certain ethernet chip?

also, what format does a microcontroller need its input data in?

I am doing a project at uni where i need to monitor voltages in a circuit remoteley via ethernet, and currently i dont know much at all (as you can probably tell) I'm keen as mustard though, so I'd really appreciate all the help you guys can give me to get started :)

Thanks heaps,

Sam

Sounds like you want a single board computer with ethernet and analog I/O. Lots of boards available from many industrial/hobby manufacturers. Here are a couple examples. Search Google for many more.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Hi,

Here are links to ethernet module you could connect to an asynchronus serial link, without need to develop any tcp/ip stack :

h**p://www.lantronix.com/products/eds/xport/index.html

h**p://www.beck-ipc.com/ipc/products/category/index.asp?cat=1&sp=en

* = t

Thanks for that.

I need to make all the PCB's and modules myself though, and it has to be as cheap as possible.

I'm guessing the XPort modules would just be an ethernet controller chip of some sort that is slightly overpriced...

So what I'm really asking is, which chips should I use? and do all of the ethernet controller chips take asynchronous serial data as the input?

also, how is this data stacked into an ethernet packet? does it just keep piling up until the packet is full, and then it gets sent?

Thanks heaps,

Sam

You can use the popular Realtek 8019AS chip for ethernet controller along with a Microcontroller. For more info and readily available kit, visit the following page

http://www.ethernut.de/en/
**broken link removed**

Sam

Best way would be to use a 8 bit MCU to do the A/D and then use a Etherent chip like the RTL8019AS to do the Ethernet stuff.

You could look at the Packet Whacker or other options with edtp.com

Please keep posting for more help.

Check this site.I would make this

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back