Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low pass filter design - Microstrip

Status
Not open for further replies.

NR152

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

I am working on a Third Order equiripple Low pass filter design suitable for Microstrip ( Distributed structure). The cut-off frequency varies from 400-800 MHz and the range of capacitnace values varies from 1-7 pF for the following setup ::

SMA connectors at board edge to filter ports via 50 Ohm Microstrip,
unspecified length.

The Filter comprises of five transmission lines directly coupled
together.

Line 1: shunt, 64.9 Ohm, terminated in VarCap.
Line 2: series, 217.5 Ohm.
Line 3: shunt, 70.3 Ohm, terminated in VarCap.
Line 4: series, 217.5 Ohm.
Line 5: shunt 64.9 Ohm, terminated in VarCap.

All transmission line lengths are 2.5 cm.

A 'diagram' of layout is below:

Cap Cap Cap
* 1 *3 *5
Feed 2 4 Feed

I have to design this on Microwave Office. The problem is that these measurements were based on assuming the Er of the substrate as 2.2 I would like to know the following things :

1. If the Er of the substrate is changed to 4.3, how will the above values change? On what basis can they be recalculated?

2. How to find the length of the transmission line connecting the feed( with impedance 50 Ohms) to the shunt transmission line (1 & 5)?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Hello,

Use the TxLine -Transmission line Calculator to get the exact width & Length of the Microstrip lines for say Er=4.3 (with substrate height =0.8mm) & 64.9 ohm then the approax values are W=1.5 mm & lamda/8 electrical lenngth L=25 mm...
Follow the similar steps to calculate other lines...

---manju---

Attachments

• TxLine.PNG
    TxLine.PNG
    32.3 KB · Views: 118
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back