Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identify SMD component RefDes "BC" (looks like C, behaves like small R)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cubrilo

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Please can somebody identify the component SMD 0805 that looks like a capacitor, but has very small resistance (around 0.1 Ohm). No marks on it, on the board has reference designator "BC". I've never seen it before.

Attachments

• unknown SMD.jpg
    unknown SMD.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 76

It could very well be a capacitor as the failure mode of chip ceramic tends to be short-circuit. I see "BC" on schematics relating to capacitors.

If the body of the component is darker in colour than a capacitor (black) then it could be an inductor.

Can you tell how it is connected to any surrounding circuitry?

Thank you Rob! Sorry I forgot it is simply connected in series. The color (brown) is darker than the capacitor, but is not dark either, and the inductance is small (1u) for an inductor.

If it is not a defective component (I assumed that it was!) my guess would be an inductor but it would be necessary to determine the way in which it is connected to other components in the circuit to be sure.

Hi,
I assume that the " BC " designates to a capacitor. From the images it appears to be a capacitor more than an inductor. Can you please upload the image of that area where it is on the board?. Where from you picked the letters "0805" ?

Definitely it is not capacitor, because it is conductive for dc signal. It is connected to the inputs of the operational amplifier (in series), like a ordinary zero-ohm smd resistor. 0805 is the size.

Can be 0R resistor, this often used as bridge for some track on pcb.

In middle/center of this part on pcb is there some track on pcb ?

BC like Bridge Contact.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.