Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What math topics should I know well as a..

Status
Not open for further replies.
(1) Calculus
(2) Differential Equations
(3) Partial Differential Equations
(4) Laplace Transform
(5) Fourier Transform
(6) Z- Transform
(7) Linear Algebra
(8) Complex Analysis
(9) Vector Analysis
(10) Special Functions: Gamma, Beta, erfc and Bessel
(11) Probability and Statistics
Besides you should master a computer program to help you, any one of the following:
(1) Maple
(2) Mathcad
(3) MATLAB
(4) Mathematica
But I suggest MATLAB

Since you are interested more in the applied part of math maybe you should check the site of a really challenging department like http://www.acm.caltech.edu/

I think as an engineer , you need to focus on the basic math from Linear Algebra to advance math Advanced Mathematical Engineering . You need to know the trignometries as well as the Differential eqaution and the whole Calculase course .

regrads

My opinion:

Calculus,Vector,PDE,ODE with boundary values----->electromagnetics------->RF
Proability,random process,statistics,---->communications systems
fourier Transform,Laplace transform----->Signal processing
linear algebra,matrix------->control systems
little math---->AIC design
----->power electronics,power systems,electrical mechanics

So,it depends on which subject you are interested in.

Buddy said:
No need to learn maths,

I use Matlab, it has all the functions built in for you! 8O

hmmmm... must say i do not agree at all...MatLab makes it easier buyt if u do not understand the basic mathematic, you will eventually encounter some problems. In this case basic mathematic is the topics mentioned earlier.

calculus and Algebra are base;
and Matlab is a good tool;
there are most important for an undergraduate student .

Dont forget the wavelet analysis.

What math topics should I focus on as an undergraduate student ?

Ofcourse you should know Basic Calculus and Differential Equations stuff as this is only a start. But I would like to emphasize on two topics

1. Probability Theory
2. Linear Algebra

These will help you a lot on the applied side and when solving engineering problems. Especially master your probability theory (random variables, stochastic processes) as they are the keys to really understand many problems.

GeekWizard said:
What math topics should I focus on as an undergraduate student ?

Ofcourse you should know Basic Calculus and Differential Equations stuff as this is only a start. But I would like to emphasize on two topics

1. Probability Theory
2. Linear Algebra

These will help you a lot on the applied side and when solving engineering problems. Especially master your probability theory (random variables, stochastic processes) as they are the keys to really understand many problems.

Do you recommend any probability theory books?

ode and pde course is important for undergraduate students when they study fluid mechanics.

In general, math is the basic of engineering. but u can't cover all the subject of it. For Electrical engineering engineer, i think Scientific Computing and statistics is all essencial.

Status
Not open for further replies.