Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What math topics should I know well as a..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would suggest ones that are used in engineering such as calculus, differential equations, transforms, Bessel functions, and statistics. Set theory is not used. There are probably courses with the name of "advanced engineering mathematics" at your school or courses which use text books with a title like this.

flatulent said:
I would suggest ones that are used in engineering such as calculus, differential equations, transforms, Bessel functions, and statistics. Set theory is not used. There are probably courses with the name of "advanced engineering mathematics" at your school or courses which use text books with a title like this.

Okay.. I have problems with signals and systems..I couldn't understand it well during the semester but i passed.. do you suggest that I go back to it and study it alone?

My general advice to everyone is to continue to read your old texts every few years and you will be surprised at how much more you understand them. In your case you should shore up your weak points like the signals and systems by reading those books first.

Always_Confused_Sudent said:
flatulent said:

Okay.. I have problems with signals and systems..I couldn't understand it well during the semester but i passed.. do you suggest that I go back to it and study it alone?

I think most of them pass without understanding the Topic. & in reality you understand the Topic when you practice it. Like I give you my example. In my graduation I completely left cmos related topics but now I am working in this field.

Add some topics to flatulent's reply.

Linear algebra
Complex varaible
Probaility

These are used in many fields of engineering

is matlab count as math?
if yes, master it.

dumbfrog said:
is matlab count as math?
if yes, master it.

I would suggest that you spend your time in school learning things that require help from others (teachers). You can get proficient on your own with different computer tools after you graduate.

No need to learn maths,

I use Matlab, it has all the functions built in for you! 8O

Sorry,

And also use Maple -> it is a 'symbolic' math toolbox and you basically type in equations for you, then it calculates derivatives for you etc. !!! 8)

Buddy said:
No need to learn maths,

I use Matlab, it has all the functions built in for you! 8O

Learning math does not mean just math knowledge it is brain training and will benefit in other than math areas .

Using tools will limit your capabilities . I think it is better to know both math and math tools .

mastering matlab is excellent and cause to apply your mathematical knowledge.
but without understanding what is really happen when you run a program you get nothing.
in addition , i think signal processing is base of many revolution for engineer.

As an electrical engineering undergraduate student, I think Calculus , Differential equations, Complex veriables, Probability are very important.
Learning matlab is a good idea , however, I do not think that it is really necessary.
You should try to learn thos topics related to Digital signal processing, and signals and systems very well. and it is better to have some experiences with matlab.

You forgot a very important calculus. It must be honored as a separate discipline because so much relies on it: VECTOR CALCULUS.

Also do not forget one of the most important tool in engineering: Fourier Transform.

Basic math skills are necesary for further developement in other topics as FFT (Fast Fourier Transform), DFT (Discrete Fourier Transform)... all concerning Signal Processing.

You must learn the basic... by that I mean calculus and algebra... and everything build opon them... it will take 3 semesters to achive

Don't forget probability and software as Matlab, Mathcad, Derive, Mathematica... but be warned that this SW does not do thinking for you

In undergraduate studies and courses relating to mathematics , some students always have problems........I suggest u to use MATLAB software for evaluation and plotting different types of curves etc......and for signals and systems and signal processing...

It is an excellent tool and it will really open ur thinking boundries when u apply theoratical concepts in courses like signals and systems in MATLAB......U will get a physical significance for the theoratical courses that u have studied by using MATLAb.....

Also if ur weaker in basic mathematics then i would suggest u to review some basic calculus book which u studied in ur undergrad courses.....When u review some material u get more through understanding .............:):)

If a degree in engineering is your goal, focus on every math course you require as a lower classman, you will only be taking one per semester -- unless you are masochistic. Later, upper division slaps you in the face and you will have to learn to apply more and more complex math five+ courses at a time.

Take your undergraduate math very seriously. Relying on Matlab to do calculations for you is worthless unless you know how to set up a problem in the first place. Those who advocate that Matlab is all you'll need are doing you a disservice. But Matlab and the like are, as someone suggested, wonderful tools for helping you solve those real tough problems, for checking your work, and is a skill you need to learn as a professional.

Currently, as a lower classman at every ABET accredited US university, if you want to get an engineering degree you will have to have:
Calculus 1 (Derivatives ... )
Calculus 2 (Fundamentals of Integration ...)
Calculus 3 (Vector Calculus, 3-D analytic geometry, ...)
Ordinary Differential Equations

Then for each engineering discipline you will get more math. If an EE is your goal, tons of math will be in every single class, everywhere you turn. You wil not pass Control Systems without knowing how to solve differential equations or Analog Design without having to setup a complex integral or Electromechanics without knowing how to convert spherical coordinates into cylindrical ones.

I watched students that put three and four years into school fail out or transfer out because their math skills were not good enough. (Fifty-five percent of the students who tried for their EE degrees in my university class either transferred out to ME or CE or Business or flunked out. )

College math is not easy stuff for most people. Do not try to simply memorize. Learn why things work and, once you get the hang of it, you can reassemble complex formulas out of your head because you know certain components need to be there. When you start to understand that, everything gets a whole lot easier.

Focus on the four at the top and study well. If you do, you won't have to ask what to take next. You'll be well on the road to knowing for yourself.

math is the only scince subject which will last with you hesitate you all the time .so a regular review for previous concepts is good and i prefer the complex variables and vector analysis 8O

For Undergraduate in Engineering, you must be really good in Calculus, including single variable and multivariable calculus. ODE are very important too. Not to forget some Complex Analysis aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.