Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Drive for the moving gate

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BlackMamba

Project by: czarny_1963
Source here

"At the beginning I have bought a toothed slats. Next was the BRAMSTER controller. Because I have choosen 12V supply so I have to found relevant motor. The motor should be powerful enough because the weight of gate alone is about 400 kg. I have bought and adopt a motor for Opel Corsa power assistance. Having completed full mechanism I have made a housing and a motor mount. The result of gate opening time was satisfactory (15 seconds).
Next problem to solve is controlling the gate. My idea is to locate a supply in garage and connect only 12V to the motor. However the cables 2.5mm2 I have are in such a bad shape that voltage drop reaches 50%. So for the time being I have a lever in a left bottom corner of the housing. Moving this lever to the left causes that the lot goes down protruding toothed wheel from the toothed slat, and afterwards I move the gate by hand. I plan to buy an UPS and connect an car battery to it, to boost capacity.
Locking and unlocking the gate is assured by limit switches. For the time being I have no thermal protection for the motor.
On the pillars I have an infrared barrier to protect anyone from accidentally squeezing with the gate."

Status
Not open for further replies.