Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

diffrence between core 2 duo and dual core

Status
Not open for further replies.

thannara123

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello experts ,
i want to know about the diffrence between core 2 duo and dual core ?
please explain
thanks in advance.

This is the difference as I see:
Dual core refers to any processor that has 2 cores on it. Core 2 Duo is the name of a family of dual core processors made by Intel. AMD also makes dual core (x86) processors (Athon X2, Athlon II X2, Phenom II X2, Brazos, Ontario). Besides Core 2 Duo, Intel makes other dual core processors (Core i3, Celeron Dual Core, Core i5M, Pentium D, Atom Dual Core). There are also dual core ARM processors but these are for smartphones, tablets, etc.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

So which 1 is better core 2 duo or dual core??

Modern dual cores are better than Core 2 Duo. The Phenom II and the Core i3 are better than Core 2 Duo. And then you decide on price. Phenom II is cheaper and is among the best processors at that price. Core i3 is more powerful but pricier.

So the "difference between core 2 duo and dual core " is the price...
I wonder if price is also a factor when you compare the difference of a 2N3055 and a NPN transistor...

So which 1 is better core 2 duo or dual core??

The question is void because core2 duo is just the name of a dual core cpu family so you question is actually if an Intel dual core processor is better than a dual core processor......
Does it make sense?

Alex

P.S. a "dual core" and "Pentium Dual-Core" are two different things, by referring to dual core you are describing the dual core architecture in general and not the Intel cpu family.

Hi,
here is the difference between Intel Core 2 duo and Dual core

Intel manufactures dual core processors under a number of different architectures.From the most to least expensive/powerful

1.Celeron Dual Core 2. Pentium Dual Core 3.Core Duo 4.Core 2 Duo

The Celeron Dual Core is limited to512KB of L2 Cache and has lower Front Side Bus (FSB) and clock speeds than chips higher up on the list. However, it is a very low priced CPU and apparently a good overclocker. The only Celeron Dual Core currently available is the E1200 (January 2008). It has 512 KB of L2 Cache, a clock speed of 1.60 GHz and an 800 MHz FSB.

The Pentium Dual Core is the next step up. With 1 MB of L2 Cache, these chips are still targeted at the cost-conscious. Slightly more expensive and slightly better performing than the Celeron Dual Core. The Pentium Dual Core models are: E2200, E21xx, T23xx, and T20xx. All have 1 MB of L2 Cache, either a 533 MHz or 800 MHz FSB and clock speeds ranging from 1.46 GHz to 2.20 GHz.

The Core Duo chips are dual core cpu's that have 2 MB of L2 Cache. This is also a 32-bit architecture (Celeron and most Pentium Dual Cores are 64-bit). The Core Duo processors: T2700, T2600, T2500, T24xx, T23xx, T22xx, T2050, L2500, L2400, L2300 (L=Low voltage), U2500, U2400 (U=Ultra low voltage). All have 2 MB of L2 Cache. FSB is either 533 MHz or 667 MHz and clock speeds range from 1.06 GHz(for the U2400) to 2.33 GHz.

Core 2 Duo cpu's are aimed at both desktop and mobile computers in the mid-range of the processor market. This line of cpu's have L2 caches ranging from 2MB to 6MB and clock speeds from 1.06 GHz (again, for the Ultra low voltage U7500) to 3.16 GHz. The extra cache and higher clock and bus speeds make these generally more expensive and faster than the Core Duo's. Intel claims a 25% performance increase between two similarly clocked Core Duo and Core 2 Duo cpu's (but real world benchmarks pegs 5%-15% as a more reasonable claim).
Intel also manufactures the even more expensive and capable Xeon and Itanium dual and quad-core processors for the high-end workstation and server market.

Read more: Difference between intel centrino core 2 duo and pentium dual- core

Last edited:
Okay, great information
I have another doubt arise please help
But what is the necessity of over clocking ?
any advantage for it ?
is it harm for processor ?

Okay, great information
I have another doubt arise please help
But what is the necessity of over clocking ?
any advantage for it ?
is it harm for processor ?

There is no necessity, overclocking is just a way to get a higher performance from the one that you paid for but there is the risk of damaging the cpu if you go too far...
Each cpu is guaranteed to work properly at the rated frequency but especially cpu generations produced in the last few years can usually work at a higher frequency of 10-15% easily because the production quality is better.

When the cpu is overclocked you must ensure that the temperature is held at a proper level and this means a better cooler (larger), the vendor provided cooler in not good enough.
Usually the core voltage is increases to make it possible for the cpu to work at higher frequencies and this makes heat increase even more.
Overclocking is not a simple process, it requires knowledge of the settings involved and also long stability tests to ensure that the final frequency works without errors before using it permanently.

This is an example of my CPU currently running 29% faster, tested with 24 hour stability tests (prime 95, OCCTPT3), I'm using it like this for about two years, theoretically you get a lower life span but only time will tell...

Snap1.gif

Alex

The stock frequency of the processor is not the maximum it can go to. There is the base frequency and a multiplier. Using these two, you can increase or decrease the frequency of the processor. Overclocking means increasing the frequency or clock speed of the processor, thus giving you more performance. However, there are problems that arise, such as heat. As you are running the processor at a frequency higher than it was rated for (at stock), more heat is produced, so you need a means of dissipating it. Then there is the complexity of overclocking itself. You need to make sure you do not increase the CPU voltage too much. Higher voltages produce higher heat and too high a voltage will likely damage the processor.
There are processors made specially for overclocking such as the K-series from Intel (Core i5 2500K or Core i7 2600K) and the Black Edition from AMD (Phenom II X4 Black Edition, Phenom II X6 Black Edition, etc).
There are people who can hit 4.0GHz on air-cooling and higher, upto 7 or 8GHz with water-cooling or other methods such as using liquid helium, however, this is just a hobby. However, I never tried it. You might safely get a few 100MHz higher frequency and some better performance, I just don't want to take the risk.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

The Core 2 Duo is Intel's second generation (hence, Core 2) processor made for desktops and laptops designed from the ground up to be fast while not consuming nearly as much power as previous CPUs.
Dual core is simply a generic term referring to any processor package with two physical CPUs in one

dual core is better because it has 2 proceccors. moer the better.
Wrong. It depends on which dual core you are referring to and which Core 2 Duo you are referring to. Core 2 Duo itself is a dual core processor, which means it has 2 cores.

(dell has a quad core,4, proccecor computer and mac has a dual quad core processor8 yes 8 processors
Dell and Apple use processors from either Intel or AMD. AMD has six-core processors (Phenom II X6) as well as Intel (Core i7 980X). AMD is releasing eight module quad core (2 modules in 1 core) "Bulldozer" processors.

---------- Post added at 13:40 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

how can i over clock my processor

Which processor are you using? If it is one by AMD, you can use AMD Overdrive to easily overclock it (or you can manually do it from the BIOS). Make sure you have an unlocked multiplier as it makes overclocking much easier. How To Overclock Your CPU Using AMD OverDrive

Also, take a look at this: How To Overclocking Intel i5/i7 CPU Processors - YouTube

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

The Core 2 Duo is Intel's second generation (hence, Core 2) processor made for desktops and laptops designed from the ground up to be fast while not consuming nearly as much power as previous CPUs.
Dual core is simply a generic term referring to any processor package with two physical CPUs in one
dual core is better because it has 2 proceccors. moer the better.
(dell has a quad core,4, proccecor computer and mac has a dual quad core processor8 yes 8 processors

Status
Not open for further replies.