Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing Gps devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahammad

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi , i want to build a simple gps device .no matter what may be its area .plz help me:)

what do you mean by GPS device ? a simple GPS receiver ?? please explain more

What exactly you mean? You want to make a GPS receiver?!!
OR
A GPS module based project?

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

If I am right, a GPS device is something much much complicated and it is not so easy to make it.
But it is easy to use a GPS module since what we need to do is just to read the GPS data from the GPS module using a microcontroller via a serial interface.

---------- Post added at 23:18 ---------- Previous post was at 23:16 ----------

just read this post and see how difficult it is:
Build a GPS receiver?

Hi,

Here are a few examples of interesting GPS projects:

Ice Tube Clock

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Interfacing an AVR controller to a GPS Mobile Phone

They should give you some ideas. I've seen GPS Modules for as little as $30 here, but depending on the options they can quickly increase in price.

BigDog

---------- Post added at 23:50 ---------- Previous post was at 23:47 ----------

The connection between MCU and GPS are usually asynchronous serial or RS-232.

For most people the hardest part of the project is designing a parser for the GPS NMEA sentences.

There are however several open source NMEA parsers available in C source code.

I want to design a gps receives that shows my position .i need not be very accurate .my position may differ by around 20 miter

Do you need portability, otherwise a GPS with a RS-232 will provide a location using a number of free PC GUI applications.

Otherwise a simple MCU with LCD readout and battery will provide the information you want in a portable configuration.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back