Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Difference between grid spacing and snap spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy25

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all, can anyone please tell me the exact difference between grid spacing and snap spacing?

Snap spacing controls the possible locations where you can act. It can be adjusted independently of the grid spacing, with arbitrary integer multiples or fractions relative to it. For layout, you could adjust snap spacing a factor 2 bigger than grid spacing, so you can keep the original grid, and still follow rfsystem's suggestion above.
For schematics, I normally use snap spacing with a fraction of 4 in relation to grid spacing. Thus I get 3 more access points (in one direction) between the shown grid.

With minor & major spacing you can define 2 different SHOWN grids (dots or lines). Depending on your current zoom, either the minor (layer: grid drw) or the major grid (layer: grid dr1, a bit brighter) is shown.

The snap spacing defines the points where you can act on, i.e. define corners or start/end points of lines. This should be set to the (minimum) grid size set for the process by the fab - or a factor 2 above, to be on the safe side, as stated in the posts before.

(Personal) example: If the minimum grid size of the process, e.g., is 0.1 (prescribed by the fab for the given process), I normally adjust the minor spacing to this size (0.1) so I can see the minimum legal grid points when zooming in to the grid, the major spacing a factor of 10 above, i.e. to 1, and the (X & Y) snap spacing to 0.2. Normally, I draw all the polygone points on this 0.2*0.2 grid. Thus I have 5-1=4 additional access points (in each of the orthogonal directions) between 2 visible points of the shown major grid. If - later on - it should be necessary to access a (legal) point on the 0.1*0.1 grid, this can still be done by (evt. temporarily) resizing the snap spacing to 0.1 .

Snap and Grid Settings - CockosWiki
What is the difference between the Snap Grid and the Reference Grid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back