Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help pl..!! Automatic Human Sensing Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaYrUleZ

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to design a circuit that when some one leaves the room, the fan should be turn off. Same goes for lights and other appliances (T.V.'s). Can we come up with a small device, with an IR sensor with a timer that can shut off the device or turn on the device when a person enters the room? Somewhat like a room light sensor, Automatic Human sensing Fan/X ..??
Looking forward for the Reply & Thanks In advance :)

However you didn't mention position of sensor ,i think ir is not best choice alone, because you must install your sensor in top or beside of door thereupon if 2 person go inside the room your device turn off lamp after timer.
I think ir with ultra sonic sensor is good

Hey dv_sa559 thanks for the Reply Yes! Sensor Position matters a lot..!! On top would be a better option..!! Can i have a brief idea about the design...n stuff...!!

Hi
I think you can sensing entree and going out by IR then install motion detection by ultra sonic sensor for covering error made by IR

ohh great one. This would be Flawless.
how about using PIR controlled lights with optocoupler to switch over heavier loads?:?:

Last edited:

All right.
You can use PIR, but it's necessary that you must calculate which current and voltage should be drive by your circuit.
maybe needs to use SSR , RELAY ,etc...

ok thx for reply guys. PIR with ultrasonic sounds perfect. What about this concept/idea.
Can we use the IR household light switches (in the wall mounted) that works on a similar concept? They too have a timing device option once it is triggered or have a complete by-pass switch feature.

It would be nice to have an IR switch/timer unit that you plug the appliance you want (such as a fan or a TV). Also, since this will be a fairly bulky feature with the electrical plug(s), what if we use an extention cord IR sensing control (3 to 4 feet or more) that is small and can be affixed to the appliance, similar to a portable webcam. So, if the person using the device leaves the room, the IR senses it and starts the timing to switch off?
hope this makes some sense..!!

Ok guys i have two different ideas :

The 1st is like a switch box with a built in IR sensor & timer. If it's possible, how about being able to plug in a IR sensor extension (this disables the box IR sensor).The extension sensor can be placed to the front of any appliance (say for example a cooling fan) to switch off when someone leaves the room.

And I have seen many of the older room light IR switch sensors, that if we do not move, the IR sensor turns off the light. I wonder if the IR sensors are now more sensitive, especially people who sleep on the couch (or bed) with minimum body movement? If the sensor can detect body heat and stay on, the better.

The 2nd Idea is an IR sensor timer on an extension cord. Smaller, sleeker one.

sO can anyone suggest me.. whch one suites the best.??
thx in advance ;)

For the basic sensing, the PIR sensor by itself would do what you want, you dont need anything else. THE PIRs (buy a module, not just the sensor) come with a plastic fresnel lens that has a pretty wide angle of detection.

Regards,

Anand

Last edited:

How do you count the number of persons in the room... how do you find out if the person entered the room or left the room...

How does IR give you that information, for controlling the speed. Do you wish to increase or decrease the speed depending on the number of people in the room...
will that not be a bad idea to run the fan at maximum speed in cold condition if the room has more number of people??????

I am unsure if i made myself clear with this idea . The basic concept is use an infared detector like in shops(the one you walk through and the ding dong lets the people know someone is in their shop). use 2 of these spaced apart (i suggest 30 cm for good measure) then hook them up to a simple counter circuit. if you cross beam 1 then 2 you have walked into a room and a counter goes up, if you leave the counter goes down. when the counter "detects" more than 0 people it will close the circuit activating the fan. when there is 0 people it will turn of. this is a basic device i have used on nightclub entrances to tell us how many people are inside. it depends on space though and number of entrances to the room

How does IR detect the whether the person entered the room or went out of the room... what if 2 people enter together and one of them leave.. IR detection for 30 cms is something strange.. which IR are you using.. is it for commercial or student project.. and using PIR is not the correct option if its working is understood properly... it detects any movement within 300 degrees of its coverage area.... i have seen IR counter displaying wrong counts even in commercial application... 2 IR concepts is a solution, but this is something i would like to see working in practical.. i did it for student project but 30 cms is not what i got.... it was 5 to 10 cms max...

Thanks for the reply Shivaram. Yes 2 IR concepts is the solution.. & good tht i came to know the range.
Can i know why cant i go for a switch box with a built in IR sensor & timer & plug into it a IR sensor extension.But what i feel is this would disable the box IR sensor. The extended sensor can be placed to the front of any appliances to switch off when some one leaves the room. The below sketch would make you clear : https://i53.tinypic.com/24vmuep.jpg

Ok guys i have two different ideas :

The 1st is like a switch box with a built in IR sensor & timer. If it's possible, how about being able to plug in a IR sensor extension (this disables the box IR sensor).The extension sensor can be placed to the front of any appliance (say for example a cooling fan) to switch off when someone leaves the room.

And I have seen many of the older room light IR switch sensors, that if we do not move, the IR sensor turns off the light. I wonder if the IR sensors are now more sensitive, especially people who sleep on the couch (or bed) with minimum body movement? If the sensor can detect body heat and stay on, the better.

The 2nd Idea is an IR sensor timer on an extension cord. Smaller, sleeker one.

sO can anyone suggest me.. whch one suites the best.??
thx in advance ;)

I need a bit of clarification on the twin IR beams? Is this fro someone close to the device and if they don't brake the IR beam, then the timer for setting the device goes into effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back