Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pipeline stages of the Multiplier core (ISE Coregen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spman

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello friends

I can't understand how the Pipeline stages affect the multiplier core?
I tested 1 stage and 4 stages. The result is given with 1 clock for 1 stage, and 4 clocks for 4 stages.
When i decrease the clock frequency, no difference is happened.
But as i increase the clock frequency for 4 stages,the result is given with 5 clocks! why?

what is benefits of 4 stages in comparison to 1 stage?

This is normal, when you increase the frequency metastability of your register causes extra clock cycle latency

Reactions: spman

spman

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
In your case, i think you've just broken it.

the benfit from breaking the multiply operation over multiple clock cycles is the logic is split across multiple clock cycles. eg, if 32 levels of logic were required for the multiplier before, now only 16 are needed per cycle. sometimes, pipelining is needed even with 1 level of logic if routing delays are large. the clock rate can be increased. as long as there isn't tight feedback, everything is fine.

eg, an FIR filter is just y = a*x1 + b*x2 + c*x3 + d*x4. there is no feedback in the structure at all. this can be pipelined to achieve higher clock rates.

On the other hand, an IIR filter such as y1 = a*y0 + b*x1 immediately runs into problems. if pipeline stages are added, they change the system -- this system needs its output on the next cycle. In this case, c-slow can sometimes be used. this is where the multiply is pipelined, and the input is commutated between different independent sources.

Reactions: spman

spman

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back