Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Short Circuit Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

losturcos

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have a problem with my short circuit protection circuit. You can see my short circuit protection in the attachment.
The main circuit is used to drive some amount of digital 7-segment displays(The one in the attachment is for one segment
of the digitals, all the segments are connected to same short protection circuit). The circuit is generally working good. The
problem is, at the boards(the circuit is a part of the board) under some noisy conditions, the controller detects short circuit,
although there is no short circuit. If I increase the value of C2 capacitor from 100nF to 330nF, the event happens much rarely,
and if I decrease that capacitor to 470uF, it doesnt happen, but actually, the circuit also doesnt work, even if there is real
short circuit situation. What can be the reason of this, and how can I solve this? Any ideas?
Note: The short circuit detection is done at about 0,590V, and as far as I remember(the circuit is drawn some time ago),
the current is about 1,5A.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Short Protection.jpg
    Short Protection.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 104

I think you need to build a timing.
if the closure occurs just wait and test if the closure is still present. (like bounce)

You mean, I should test for 2 or 3 times more?

Thanks, I will try it, but I may not see the result in a short time.
Other advices are welcome, too.

I dont want to use a filter at the moment, if I dont have to. The noise sources may be inverter device, up to 40 meters of
AC voltage carrying cables near, some other possible devices connected to the electric network.

Status
Not open for further replies.