Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AVR Programming with AVR Studio 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucsam

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how can i start programming avr in avr studio? i am a 8051 programmer, but jumping into AVR is like making me go round, please help me understand the instructions, like why is there so much of >> and ~~ and so many other weird instructions ? what is the usage of those instruction? i know that >> means shift right but they are using it excessively and i dnt what it means???

i can understand AVR codes, but i dunno why we have to use so man ~ and >> and <<

I would recommend starting off with AVR Studio 4, it is significantly more stable and operational.

Frankly, AVR Studio 5 should still be released as a beta, not a release version. I would wait until there are a few revision numbers after that "5" before using it as your main software development platform.

A discussion concerning one of AVR Studio 5's many "bugs."

Problem with AVR Studio 5 Watch Window (assembler)

This is assuming you do not want your first AVR programming experience to be an exercise in frustration.

BigDog

thank your for the information, but i just want to use C and simple coding. Is there any better compiler for AVR then avr studio?

You should be fine using AVR Studio 4 and it is still available on Atmel's Website. There are several other open source options including WinAVR, Arduino, etc?

thank your for the information, but i just want to use C and simple coding. Is there any better compiler for AVR then avr studio?

AVR Studio itself is an IDE and not compiler. The compiler normally used in AVR Studio is AVR GCC. There are many other compilers for AVR like Codevision, Mikroe, & IAR.
If you want to know more about them, use Google.

I personally advice to go with AVR GCC, as it is freeware and supported by Atmel.

You can take a look at arduino Arduino - Tutorials
but my recommendation is to go for a native C environment like in avr studio because arduino has a slightly different style, it resembles C but it uses many predefined functions in the code.
The benefit of using arduino it that it provided many libraries for sensors or external devices ready to use and the code is easier to write because it hides some of the coding complexity from the user.
The coding style is best suited to users which are new to software programing, if you get used to it you may have a hard time if you try to use another Platform that uses C for devices like PIC or ARM.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.