Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rfid reader send data wireless to pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

52eoc

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What rs232 wireless serial adapter should i used to my rfid lab monitoring system to send data to pc wirelessly because I have pic circuit interface with rfid reader then the data of the rfid reader will be sent wireless to the pc....

You could use a pair of ZigBee XBee Series 1s, they are relatively easy to setup and form a virtual serial cable replacement.

Checkout the group:

Embedded Wireless Networks - WiFi, ZigBee, MiWi, 802.15.4, Bluetooth & RF

for additional ideas and examples.

BigDog

Last edited by a moderator:
if you rfid reader is RS232 type then it may be possible to remove PIC part and directly using serial wireless replacement you can rfid data directly on PC
you are from which country
if you are from india i can help you to get product too..

What rs232 wireless serial adapter should i used to my rfid lab monitoring system to send data to pc wirelessly because I have pic circuit interface with rfid reader then the data of the rfid reader will be sent wireless to the pc....

First of all What is the range you need? (i.e. Distance between rfid reader and pc)

Nordic RF transceivers are another option; they are approximately 30-40% less than XBees, but will require some coding on your end.

Reactions: 52eoc

52eoc

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
am thanks to the reply my problem is that my instructor suggested that the data being send wirelessly will be pass to a router so may it looks like sending data in a wifi connection because my project is a lab monitoring system with door lock mechanism then by the use of rfid reader the tag id will be send to the computer wirelessly through a wireless serial adapter and i will program it using vb6.

---------- Post added at 20:44 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

Thank you all for the reply but i still need the pic circuit interface to the rfid reader in which the tag id will be notice to the circuit in order to open the door lock mechanism and the tag id will be sent wirelessly to the computer by using a wireless serial device such as bluetooth,rf module or etc as long it has the same like wifi connection procedure.....

Have a look at our DataBridge wireless modules at Starman Electric. One module could interface directly with PIC, and the other could connect to the PC using a serial UART to USB converter like FTDI TTL-232R. The modules link together automatically and provide wireless serial without errors for 100s or 1000s of meters. No programming needed.

mstarman

52eoc

I will used 2 rfid reader for the lab in which the first rfid reader in which i will put it on the entrance door then the second one will used for exit. Then the sending of the data is by means of wireless connection instead of using the traditional rs232 protocol in wire. The data that I will send is only the tag id my sample tag ID is this one "22033A4124C7E" may i know what type of protocol is this for the tag that I used? because I research some example on the web there tag id is like this "0012334125" only a 10 bit and numbers only while my rfid tag id is just like this "22033A4124C7E" which is a 13 byte then this will be the one to be send in wireless to the computer.I dont know what wireless serial adapter should I used for this because I will program it on vb6...I hope you can give me some suggestion.

since it is in the lab environment, i would just suggest you use the ZigBee wireless module.

Hi thank you for all response am better I need a wireless serial cable replacement adaptor to send the data to the pc wireless.Im I would like you to ask starman if I order the module this week when it will arrive to our country in the Philippines because I need it this month for our final year project design.

I dug up a good example of a RFID/ZigBee, you can adapt the network topology to your project:

ZigBee-Enabled RFID Reader Network

The PDF should get you started in the right direction. Let me know if you need any additional help.

BigDog

52eoc

I dug up a good example of a RFID/ZigBee, you can adapt the network topology to your project:

ZigBee-Enabled RFID Reader Network

The PDF should get you started in the right direction. Let me know if you need any additional help.

BigDog

Thanks bigdogguru am your idea is most suitable for rfid lab monitoring system. Then can these zigbee module is applicable for wifi connection because our instructor said we need a wifi router to send data from pic to zigbee module then wireless to pc using wifi adhoc connection. I have four entries for my rfid reader the first lab where i put the reader from entrance the other one to exit and the same with the second love with one computer serve with long range distance to send data.....

Thanks bigdogguru am your idea is most suitable for rfid lab monitoring system. Then can these zigbee module is applicable for wifi connection because our instructor said we need a wifi router to send data from pic to zigbee module then wireless to pc using wifi adhoc connection.

I would use a ZigBee to Ethernet Gateway to provide for Ethernet connectivity such as:

ConnectPort X2

ConnectPort X2 Datasheet

Connection to Digi brand ZigBees is assured, to third party devices maybe not, so contact your ZigBee module supplier to confirm compatibility with the ConnectPort X2.

I have four entries for my rfid reader the first lab where i put the reader from entrance the other one to exit and the same with the second love with one computer serve with long range distance to send data.....

You'll definitely need a mesh network with that many end devices, ZigBee rather than just 802.15.4 layer. You'll need to setup a Coordinator, a Router and the rest of the nodes as End Devices.

Your project is definitely doable.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back