Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[HELP] phase shifter circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmish27

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on a project in which I have to design an array (of antenna) pattern to steer a beam 360 degrees. Can anyone provide me any info on a phase shifter circuit or an IC to work with? frequency range is 1GHz-2GHz.

You can use a mmic phase shifter chip, such as
https://www.hittite.com/content/documents/data_sheet/hmc936lp6.pdf
The trick will be to find one off-the-shelf for your 1-2 ghz frequency band.

You can design your own phase shifer, using time delay length of microstrip line that get switched in/out. The benefit of this approach is that you can get it centered at exactly 1.5 GHz, and by using time delay (rather than phase shift) elements the phased array will not change its pointing angle as the frequency is swept.

You can use pin diode switches or mmic fet switches to design the above. You have to decide what the LSB in time(or phase) will be, as too small of an LSB means a very complicated circuit.

There are fancy fiberoptic based ways to generate a true variable time delay, but these are probably beyond the scope of your project.

Reactions: gmish27

gmish27

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.