Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar charge controller 48V/30/50/60A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mithun_K_Das

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In this time I want to know about solar charger so that I can design in my way. I've read on the net. But I didn't got a complete one. If anyone made one please share some links.

Thanks
MKDas

Hi,
The 3 most common types of charge controllers are:
1) Simple on/off
2) PWM type
3) MPPT

I'm currently working on a PWM type charge controller.

The easiest is on/off, where the circuit sense panel voltage (optional) and battery voltage and decides whether the battery should be charged or not, by turning on a switch (MOSFET / relay / BJT, etc). The switch may be in series where turning off the switch stops charging. It may also be in parallel, where to stop charging, the voltage is dumped onto a load.

First decide which kind you want. Hint: Most you'll find in the market here (locally made ones) are on/off types. The ones you see like Morningstar, etc are usually PWM or MPPT.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

---------- Post added at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:38 ----------

Here are two simple ones:

SCC3 - 12 Volt 20 Amp Solar Charge Controller
SCC2 10 Amp Solar Charge Controller

I'll provide more details later, but for now, check these:

Solar charge controllers with PWM
**broken link removed**

I'm working on one using ATMEGA8 and one with PIC16F690. I'll post more when I'm done.

Hi,
The type of charger does not have a capacity limit as you are thinking. Even the simplest on/off charger with parallel shunt can carry 60A at 48V. Problem would be power wastage. Then, even a serial connected on/off charger can carry the power. However, using PWM increases battery life. If you want high charging efficiency, then you must use MPPT. If you want a more cost-effective solution that maintains a good battery life, use PWM.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

So a series controller with pwm control is better in this case, right? I need to design a 12/24/48V 60/40/30A charge controller. As I didn't design this before so I need something complete document. Link you shared is helpful but not complete. I want to design fully microcontroller baased and also need to interface with pc.

Hi,
Yes, I recommend series controller with PWM. I haven't found any complete document with circuits and stuff with PWM and microcontroller. I'm developing mine on info I'm getting from various sources. For PC interfacing, it should be easy if you use RS232. If you use USB, it's more user-friendly but it gets tougher for you as the developer. I think it's something like this (at least, this is what I'm developing):
When battery charge is near full charge apply short pulse (20% to 50%) depending on battery voltage. At lower battery voltages apply longer pulse. Apply the longest pulse when the battery has a very low voltage. Choose a microcontroller with hardware PWM. This will make things easier.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

RS232 is enough for BD. I'm using pic16f72 in most of the case as the price varies a few. But what are the protection need here? Low battery, over charge, temp., ? But charging current should be controlled I think.

You'll get more accuracy if you use a microcontroller with 10-bit ADC.

Protection: Low battery, High cut, Output short circuit, Battery reverse connection (optional).

You would want to keep current consumption of the circuit low.

RS232 is enough for BD.

Maybe. Maybe not. Many of the newer computers don't come with a serial port or parallel port, only USB. Charging current control isn't mandatory as the battery rating is very high and will likely never receive too high current.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Dear Tahmid Question to u???????
HAve u found any clue to design that charger.
i am stucked in hardware portion????

Regards

Misel

one clue: Set duty cycle D=Vout/Vin. Vout = battery voltage. Vin = solar pannel voltage. I've designed my own, its working fine. Charging ampere is changing dynamically based on solar voltage and battery voltage.

yes i have problem with hardware portion so i need to isolate my powersupply while i drive my mosfet for connecting with panel

.Misel

Status
Not open for further replies.