Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radio frequency below ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BEA

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm about to design a tracking device to be used by equipment located below ground. There will be a transmitter below ground and a handheld receiver. Where to find information about radio frequency attenuation in different media? Can I use 868Mhz or will more LF like 32768Hz work better?

868 mhz may penetrate a few feet into dry earth, much less in wet earth. LF will go much deeper--the trick is to make the antenna small enough to fit but still have some efficiency. Data communications typically need a lot of coding gain to get through.

Reactions: BEA

BEA

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Ok, maybe I don't need to investigate 868MHz more deeply. If 32768Hz, what is the most efficient antenna principal to use. Antenna needs to fit within 6mm diameter and maximum 60mm long ?

Last edited:

Definitely 32kHz will be better than 868MHz. For a similar application I know somebody that is using successfully a DCF77 receiver modified to work on 32kHz, and for TX a modified replica of a DCF77 transmitter. The antenna could be a challenge, but any long wire could be the starting point.

At 32 KHz, you would want an inductive coil, not a monopole. You can either resonate it with a capacitor, or drivie it unresonated with a current source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back