Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Compass controlled servo and rudder

Status
Not open for further replies.

No1Daemon

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I am trying to achieve the same as demonstrated on tuckertiki.co.nz for my kontiki

It is a device that you simply point it in the direction you want it to head in then power it on at which time it locks in the heading and then as it heads out to sea as the heading changes the magnetic compass controlled servo changes the position of the rudder to compensate and get it back onto its heading.

Does anyone have any suggestions for already completed gear that may do what I want?

I can build the board and program a pic microcontroller with the firmware but I don't understand what equipment I will need to complete it.
I have googled around and found magnetic compass modules and there are plenty of autopilots out there using arduino or picaxe but they all seem to have integrated gps as well.

Thanks
Steve

Thanks for the reply. No it has no sailm just an electric motor which hauls out a fishing line until the pic controller timer stops the motor. It shouldn't really be affected by wind, just strong current/rips etc but with an auto adjusting rudder eventually it should make it through the white water and currents and then continue to its destination okay.

Cheers
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back