Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

learning to use MultiSim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I was experimenting in Circuit Wizard and Multisim. I was only able to rotate components only in multiples of 90°. How do I rotate component such as resistor by an angle which isn't multiple of 90°? To better understand my query you can have a look on the attached diagram. Thanks.

Regards
PG

Attachments

• rotate component.JPG
    rotate component.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 74

Rotation angles other than 90° are generally unusual in schematic capture software, because the software internally implements a fixed grid for interconnection points. You would need to design special symbols with diagonal terminals yourself. That's surely possible, but most likely not a suggested beginners task.

Thanks, FvM.

Aren't such symbols available somewhere on the internet which I can download to use? I don't know how to create new ones. If they are available, then please suggest me some suitable search terms. I have used "diagonal resistor for multisim" and "diagonal resistor for circuit wizard" with no success. Thanks for the help.

Regards
PG

I don't understand the need to use diagonal component symbols, I have never used any diagonal symbol in a schematic.
Why can't you use horizontal or vertical symbols instead?

Alex

I assume, the problem is about drawing some neat schematics.

Most engineers working with schematic capture tools accept that there are some restrictions compared to hand drawn schematics. The electrical functionality can be surely represented by orthogonal symbols. If you are going to design your own symbols, e.g for a strain gauge resistance bridge, diagonally drawn resistors can be a nice idea. It's your decision, if you focus on the engineering or the graphical aspects of a schematic capture tool.

Reactions: PG1995

PG1995

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi again, :)

So far I have used Multisim, Circuit Wizard, and Yenka simulation programs. Two or three days ago someone was lecturing on PSpice like what it is and how it's used. I was much confused after hearing the lecture because I had thought that I knew what PSpice etc is. I know that PSpiece is a software just like Multisim based on SPICE. To see part of the reason for my confusion you can check this Google doc which I found after googling "pspice programming ppt". It seems more like a programming language software than drag-and-drop circuit builder and simulation tool. What am I missing? I have always dragged and dropped the components such as resistors and batteries to create a circuit. Please help me with it. Thanks a lot.

Regards
PG

Last edited:

I have always dragged and dropped the components such as resistors and batteries to create a circuit.
Yes, you can do this with PSpice as you did before. There's however an option to use native SPICE text description, for simulation circuits, you also have it with Multisim, although you possibly never noticed.

I don't want to argue about the considerations in the lecture, e.g. under which conditions it's more effective to use the native SPICE language. Clearly, the language has existed before any simulation GUIs and schematic entry interfaces. If you want to work with vendor models, you should at least understand the syntax. It may be quite helpful when tracing error messages. Also behavioral modelling expressions are basically referring to the SPICE syntax. Thus an advanced SPICE user can't hardly avoid to come in touch with the language from time to time.

Hi,

Did you try the free LTspice? Since I have no idea of the ones you are familiar with, I wonder if LTspice is better or not in some aspects that you are interested in.
On my side, I am able so far to test all my works on it. I think it is rather compatible with Pspice as well.

Kerim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back